Fj45 rebuild, what are you glad you did, would have done differently? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've just about finished the teardown of my FJ45 and the body is off being soda blasted ready for the great resurrection.

Before I get into and no turning back scenarios, I'd love to get some feedback on what others would have done differently in you own rebuild...

Some things I'm mulling over:
  • Sound deadening (to what degree)
  • Air con
  • Disc Brake conversion
  • Power Steering
  • Under bonnet heat management and general engine bay setup
  • Stereo and sound
  • Flooring and roof lining
  • Seating (underseat tank model)
But really welcome other thoughts, regrets, best thing I did....

I'm aiming for a nut and bolt restoration, but to be driven, not hidden.

20211122_114731 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Top mod: power steering.😊

If I travel distance at higher speed would source an H55F and split case from a 8/80+ FJ45 or HJ47 that hand brake. It's my understanding a 60 series driveshaft for a four speed with out the spacer will work for rear.

Things I like on my 45, power steering, efi, lots of sound deadening especially on the tunnel underside, and slight raise to the steering wheel by modifying the clam shell that holds the column to go above the lower lip of the dash not under. Things I hate, super small cab. I raised the seat an inch to an inch and a half. Other thing that is annoying, my leg hits the windshield crank. Bugcatcher windows are cool but annoying to open and close even with new seals. I would like 3 point seatbelts but tiny space for a cage. Couple things I do love is the dakota digital gauges and modern rearview mirror with a tiny backup camera, garage door homelink buttons and compass. Oem mirror was not worth finding.

Roof, I used some spray sound and heat reducer and spray liner instead of foam. Nobody looks up at the roof in the cab, they look at your dash and seats. So decent upholstery is a must. Only other thing that is annoying is not being able to leave a parking lot without chatting about it for 10 min. That annoyance will come later.

It’s difficult to pick my favorite upgrade on mine, 12HT, H55F, A/C, PS, 70 series cable locked axels, extensive bed liner/sound deadening and Dakota Digital instruments top the list. All were worth the effort. Check my build thread for all of my modifications when you have time. The thread link is in my signature line.

Probably the one thing I would do differently is to pursue wing vent windows. I’m still looking but it would have been easier to install them during the initial build.

I would like 3 point seatbelts but tiny space for a cage.

Could try and find 64005-90300 REINFORCEMENT, SAFETY BAND ANCHORAGE RH and 74006-90300 REINFORCEMENT SAFETY BAND ANCHORAGE LH. Both are NLA. These were used in Canada and anchored the top of the three point seat in the rear corners of the top where it's double wall above the corner window. Uses four fixed nuts to anchor the bracket. Seen three point seat belts in Europe on 45 pickips but those were close to the B pillar that were similar to the fixed nuts on the FJ40 hard top sides.

Last edited:
@tornadoalleycruiser is there a preferred sound deadening material you have used. I am hoping to have my 45 here in June or so and have started to stockpile some parts and ideas as well

2 things i used which work well.. Full underside of the whole tub and firewall with Al's HN Reducer or Spectrum, Easy to spray with a texture gun from harbor freight
I've used both products. Water clean up simple to use.
texture gun
then on tunnel underneath i added stick on deadening on before spraying anything on top.
Epoxy, then sticker deadening mat, then spectrum or als , then bedliner

underneath to seal the spectrum or AL's HNR you can use raptor (harder texture) or I used AL's liner (softer feel) to keep rocks etc from chipping away at the underneath and give it a nice black undercoating look.

You can do the same on the interior to really quiet it down or just use the spray in stuff.. Depends if you want bare metal looking floors or something else

the underside of my whole tub i used epoxy sealer, then spectrum or AL's HNR, then al's liner

some info on a different thread here

Thanks Erik….never realized the abundance of options… Ive used KillMat…that’s all I knew…basically a heavy self stick tile mat. Will look into these instead as the arrival date approaches. Raising the seats has been a staple in every truck I have owned….did it even in my newer Chevy pickup.

Roof, I used some spray sound and heat reducer and spray liner instead of foam. Nobody looks up at the roof in the cab, they look at your dash and seats. So decent upholstery is a must. Only other thing that is annoying is not being able to leave a parking lot without chatting about it for 10 min. That annoyance will come later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom