FJ45 LPB Springs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know what the differences are between the springs on a 65 FJ45 LPB and a 78FJ45 LPB?

When ordering springs they make you specify what year you are ordering for, wondering if they are interchangeable or not?

Long story short. My 78 FJ45 frame turned out to be too rotten to save, acquired a 65 FJ45 frame that is clean, wondering if I can use my Dakar springs purchased for my 78 on my 65 frame? Everything is buried under snow right now otherwise I would measure myself, wondering if anyone has first hand knowledge of any differences.

Thanks in advance.

Adam

Great. Thanks for this. I will measure the bushing differences and order appropriately then.

Cheers

Adam

When did the bushing size change? On the FJ40s it was 8/80. SOR shows the same date for the 45 series rear springs. I have spring pack from a 84 that are a much thicker pack. 65 were pretty thin 1/2 ton. On the 84 were 1 ton. Not sure when they changed.

I think the spring pack changed with rear axles, i.e. Full floating rear axles would have the heavier spring pack. Another item to be aware of is the spring pin will change on the frame mount. Both in diameter and the head type/size.

I think the spring pack changed with rear axles, i.e. Full floating rear axles would have the heavier spring pack. Another item to be aware of is the spring pin will change on the frame mount. Both in diameter and the head type/size.

Both of these make sense. I'm still using the original components of the truck, just replacing the frame so I am guessing that I may have to change out the spring hanger on the new frame with the old ones. Was hoping I could get away without having to make that change. Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers

Adam

Adam,
You might not need to change the hangers. Just pay very close attention to sizes and head configuration. Whitey can probably give you much better advice in this area than I can.

Rear pins and shackles are the same, think 79 was the newer bigger bushings front and rear on 40's and 45's

Adam,
You might not need to change the hangers. Just pay very close attention to sizes and head configuration. Whitey can probably give you much better advice in this area than I can.

Measurements will be my friend here. Now I just need the snow to melt....

cheers

Adam

Rear pins and shackles are the same, think 79 was the newer bigger bushings front and rear on 40's and 45's

Thanks Whitey.

Cheers

Adam

I don't know on the FJ45s but on the FJ40s 8/80 (81 model) was the date change for different springs and bushings. I have 82 title/frame I'm considering using on my 79 as a easy to update the drive train. The springs and bushings on the rear axle are different.

SOR price page on 4X series bushings Search by Part Number 102-22

SOR price page on rear springs showing FJ40/BJ springs but not 45s Search by Part Number 102-10

100% confirmed the CS003R is the same for all 45LPB, there were bushing and shock variations through the range as noted above.

Based on the links above it looks like 78 should have the same bushings as a 65....the thaw has started I will know soon enough.

Thanks for all your help.

Regards,

Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom