fj40 uncommon gearshift pattern (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've got one too...

Greetings everyone... newbie to the forum.

I also have one these backwards shifting transmissions...

To cloud the subject of where they come from a little more, I bought it bolted to the back of a turbo'ed 2H diesel... and (hold on to your hats!) and it was all installed in a 1972 Ford F-250 Hi-Boy. from some partially intact documents I found in the glove box it looks like there was a company somewhere near Sacramento in the 1980's that would put your choice of Toyota diesel into whatever you wanted.

I bought the Ford just get my hands on the turbo'd 2H, which I am hoping to put into my 1980 FJ-40 along with a 5 speed that I got out of a 1984 BJ-60.

I just sold my 72' FJ-40 and the buyer wants me to upgrade the transmission to a 4-speed for him. So I can either pull the 4 speed out of my 1980, or I can use this opposite shift pattern transmission...

MY QUESTION - Has anyone ever heard of a way to modify the shift pattern back to standard (1st gear on the left), or is this unit a completely different animal?

thanks in advance for any help or advise...

Greetings everyone... newbie to the forum.

I also have one these backwards shifting transmissions...

To cloud the subject of where they come from a little more, I bought it bolted to the back of a turbo'ed 2H diesel... and (hold on to your hats!) and it was all installed in a 1972 Ford F-250 Hi-Boy. from some partially intact documents I found in the glove box it looks like there was a company somewhere near Sacramento in the 1980's that would put your choice of Toyota diesel into whatever you wanted.

I bought the Ford just get my hands on the turbo'd 2H, which I am hoping to put into my 1980 FJ-40 along with a 5 speed that I got out of a 1984 BJ-60.

I just sold my 72' FJ-40 and the buyer wants me to upgrade the transmission to a 4-speed for him. So I can either pull the 4 speed out of my 1980, or I can use this opposite shift pattern transmission...

MY QUESTION - Has anyone ever heard of a way to modify the shift pattern back to standard (1st gear on the left), or is this unit a completely different animal?

Jim says you just need to swap out the top cover a few posts up. That is a crazy story about a company putting Toyota diesels into anything you want in the US since we never got the diesels here.

How are you going to license the diesel fj40 in CA? DMV and BAR aren't going to go for that combination. Ever. Start another thread if you don't want to pollute (pun) this one. There's some recent info here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/chit-chat/734900-registration-problems-hj47s.html

Last edited:
My stock BJ42 had that shift pattern.

Re-birth....

Has anyone successfully changed the reverse shift pattern to normal with a new top cover as suggested previously?

Blast from the past... I want to say that we tried to swap the top cover to re orient the shift pattern but it was a total no go. The forks were on the opposite side and so an H42 cover wouldn’t work.

But this was almost 10+ years ago. I was always broke, and this tranny was like a gift from the gods because (it was free) and had a 4.8:1 or 5:1 first gear! Screw the shift pattern!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom