fj40 uncommon gearshift pattern (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes, the truck has been driven and this shift pattern is confirmed.

Thanks for all the inputs. This forum has been a great help for me.

I will post some pics as soon as I can.

My guess is that the engine and box has come out of a Dyna or Coaster bus, which would have the gear stick on a linkage that would mirror image the shift pattern at the stick.

x2 on the coaster, I have a 77/78 coster box sitting in my shed that has the same shift patten at both the box and shifter as posted above. can get some numbers off it if needed

reverse shifting

I was the owner of the transmission BB (Brian) was talking about. It is a toyota transmission and it was put in my 55 by someone else. It was installed behind a 2F and fit perfectly with the stock driveline and transfer case (though the transmission hump hole was modified about an inch rearward). The first gear was too low for on-road use and it topped out about 50 mph at 3000 rpm.
Here is the only pic I could find. Nobody could ever figure out where it came from, though I did get a lot of comments about my ability to install it correctly in the vehicle ;) Specter and MAF guys said they had never seen one. I have no idea where it originally came from.
old tranny.jpg

shermantank is there an access cover on the opposite side...

I know that older DA/FA dump trucks came as a 4 speed also rhd...and they had a 2 speed rear axle...would explain the really low gearing

i think they had a cover on the side...i'll have to see if i kept any pics of them

Last edited:
The PTO port is machined out in all H4x boxes 75-earlier.

The oddball tranny pictured is a very early H41. Note the early T-case shift linkage.

The build date will be stamped on the flat on right side of T-case.

Do a search for how to decode date.

I have one of those too Brian. My first thot was the same as yours. Sine80 and greenfox both had their hands on that 'other' one. Yes it is definitely a reverse shift pattern and yes it is definitely Toyota. 4.99 1st gear with a 10 spline [3 speed t-case] output shaft.

I figure I will set mine up with a Fairey overdrive one day [or year!]

I was the owner of the transmission BB (Brian) was talking about. It is a toyota transmission and it was put in my 55 by someone else. It was installed behind a 2F and fit perfectly with the stock driveline and transfer case (though the transmission hump hole was modified about an inch rearward). The first gear was too low for on-road use and it topped out about 50 mph at 3000 rpm.
Here is the only pic I could find. Nobody could ever figure out where it came from, though I did get a lot of comments about my ability to install it correctly in the vehicle ;) Specter and MAF guys said they had never seen one. I have no idea where it originally came from.

Yes Mark, I passed the trans on to Sine80 after I got it from shermantank55 (thanks Greg!), as he needed the gearing. Sine and Greenfox installed it in his 40, which is now sold. I did not know you had one as well. What will you install that setup in?

Greg, don't remember if you told me, was your 55 a local (Bay Area) purchase? No PO info on the trans?

JohnnyC - I did not note any numbers; I only had it in my possession for a few days.

Brian

source of the tranny

I think the 2F came from "Breath of Fresh Air" in Concord, CA. The original F apparently caught on fire. I don't know if the transmission was put in at that point. I'm not sure where the 55 originally came from. I bought it from a guy here locally in 2000. He had it when it caught on fire.

Sorry, I have no other pictures of the transmission.

Greg

Did you ever get your transmission sorted out? I just got one of those, it came with the 2b motor I bought and its disconcerting to use...
If you know how to change over the pattern to norm, please advise...thanks

I always thought that this "reverse" shift pattern would make sense on a RHD vehicle, and was surprised when I drove a BJ74 and it had the same shift pattern as a LHD vehicle. If your vehicle is RHD I would keep it with this "reverse" pattern. That's just me though. :meh:

I always thought that this "reverse" shift pattern would make sense on a RHD vehicle, and was surprised when I drove a BJ74 and it had the same shift pattern as a LHD vehicle. If your vehicle is RHD I would keep it with this "reverse" pattern. That's just me though. :meh:

Then you would have to reverse the pedals as well to make is all right!

Pete

All RHD trucks have the same shift pattern as LHD drive trucks. Every Toyota [even non-Toyota] vehicles I have driven [one or two in my time, being an Aussie :) ] has 1st at top left.

Then you would have to reverse the pedals as well to make is all right!

Pete

:lol: I've heard it's hard enough to keep the turn signal and wiper switches straight, so it'd probably be best not to introduce additional confusion :D

Did you ever get your transmission sorted out? I just got one of those, it came with the 2b motor I bought and its disconcerting to use...
If you know how to change over the pattern to norm, please advise...thanks

Swapping the entire top cover from a regular Cruiser transmission will get the shift pattern back to normal.

Yes Mark, I passed the trans on to Sine80 after I got it from shermantank55 (thanks Greg!), as he needed the gearing. Sine and Greenfox installed it in his 40, which is now sold. I did not know you had one as well. What will you install that setup in?

Greg, don't remember if you told me, was your 55 a local (Bay Area) purchase? No PO info on the trans?

JohnnyC - I did not note any numbers; I only had it in my possession for a few days.

Brian

I own Sine80's old cruiser with the reverse shift pattern transmission now. I bought it from a guy in Oregon. I had the truck shipped to me here in Georgia, when I got it the shipper had put the t-case in low range and was driving it in 3rd gear around the transfer yard. I guess he could not figure out the shift pattern. Great transmission for off road use and I even put an Orion behind it that I bought from Georg at Valley Hybrids.

Jim,
Thanks for the advice. I will go an find a 'regular' cruiser top cover.
Hopefully my brain hasn't gotten scrambled like the shift pattern, so when i get this fixed, I wont be jamming into 3rd to get more power....hahahaha

CID 96 does the tranny have any casting numbers? or stamping numbers on it?

does it have a side cover on the opposite side from the picture above?

Johnny - transmission does have side cover on opposite side. Only casting numbers I can see on it are 816 or 818 along with a very small teq below it. These casting are located on the passanger side of the transmission along with the fill plug. This transmission was originally in a 2wd vehicle as it has an adaptor plate to allow the transfer case to bolt up. I thought maybe a big yard style forklift maybe?

i found this post in search to explain the stouts shift pattern, although they are column shift and as i have one of the first stouts in australia the four speed column shift was unknown of prior so the 1961-62 RK45 toyopet stout had this sticker on the dash
http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i348/whysmee2/shift1.jpg

the RK45 only had a 1500cc R engine 700 15 inch tires and 6.1:1 diff ratio that do fit in a cruiser and this reverse pattern has got me interested in the floor shift. i guess these transmissions are out of early 4x4 4wd dyna/toyoace (tilt cab) and were used cheap replacement imports out of japan with a simple unbolt and swap shifter mechanism (only guessing)

This is the shift pattern I had on my BJ40 [1980 model, tank under floor]. Was the stock trans behind the 3B. Had a fairey overdrive behind it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom