FJ40 Pics from "Back in the day" (70's, 80's) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

April 1977 when my Father bought the Cruiser.
A-FJ40-1977-k.jpg

The black things between bumper and fender were OEM and necessary in Germany, even the corners on the bumper. (OEM 55 model corners.)

I'd be curious what the German bumper did to gas mileage....better, worse, no difference?

It actually towed quite well. Had stabiliser bars fitted and could sit on 90-100kph on a flat level road. Going up through the NSW and VIC alps was a bit different from memory. I think I was down to 1st or 2nd gear most of the way but the old motor just kept pulling. Never really thought about the fuel consumption back in those days. Just kept driving from town to town.

Found couple of pictures from 1987 or maybe 1988. Back when there were just the two of us. Here 's the wife driving and of coarse getting stuck in a mud hole. ha ha. I wish she would wear her hair that way now.

Stuck 1.jpg
Stuck 2.jpg

Wow what a great thread!
Can't stop reading it and had too dig for these old pics the only three I have. Have had the bug ever since.
Here is my first Fj40.( circa 1986-87) I bought a (mustard yellow) 76 chassis and body with no engine or trans.
Bought a 71 fj40 from a friend who rolled it on the Santa Monica Frwy. Used the the drive train from that vehicle. Red and green parts from friends who had extra parts at the time.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1416632866.391695.jpg

Second photo I had found some doors and a roll bar for it. Removed the top. Fun times.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1416633052.409734.jpg

Third picture is of my 1970 fj40 (circa 1991) I bought from a customer at a fine art paper company. It was daily driver! Boy did it bounce and ride rough!
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1416633230.820207.jpg

I really liked this rig had to sell it at the time cause wife was pregnant at the time.

Jorge,

The L.A. County Sheriff also used one for years to patrol up in the San Gabriel Mountains around the same time period--same white paint job. Today they are using a small Ford SUV like the CHP uses, two officers per patrol.

I bet they still own them stuffed way back in the parking lot. Would be nice to acquire them somehow!

This thread is amazing! I love seeing the history of these old rigs served up on the vintage photos. Just adds a whole other dimension to 40-series ownership.

Love those early pics. Someone PLEASE make an after market split wind screen for our rigs
that opens at the bottom. Thanks!

Love those early pics. Someone PLEASE make an after market split wind screen for our rigs
that opens at the bottom. Thanks!

There were 3 of them for sale in the classifieds a week or two ago...$700 each...sold pretty quick. Pretty sure they were from Ehsan/Pakistan.

September 1977 sm.jpg
I do love it when I accidently run across an old slide or photo of the Land Cruiser during her youth. I found this one yesterday. It was dated September 1977 and was taken at Matanzas Inlet south of St. Augustine, Florida on a section of beach that, for all intents and purposes, doesn't even exist today. The slide was a good find as it is the only one I have of both my (blue) 72 and my friend Al's 75 (mustard) FJ40s together. I sure did envy his synchronized first gear and bucket seats but I'd still not trade my 72 for a newer model! Besides, I still have mine and his is long gone.....I wonder where.

Last edited:
Jungle habitat West Milford NJ 72-76.. Some of my family worked there and we ended up with a lot of junk from this place since we lived just over the hill. The wardens and vets drove 40's. The park allowed all the animals to roam free as you drove through, there were a few animal attacks early on. Warner Brothers owned the park, without the approvals to expand the park, the place shut down in 76. These pics are from a new website they started for town history, figured I would share.

4334ec71f3405b99067cc8f225b7c9b8.jpg

22e33595623a750bc7c68d1ca8c4593e.jpg

Jungle habitat West Milford NJ 72-76.. Some of my family worked there and we ended up with a lot of junk from this place since we lived just over the hill. The wardens and vets drove 40's. The park allowed all the animals to roam free as you drove through, there were a few animal attacks early on. Warner Brothers owned the park, without the approvals to expand the park, the place shut down in 76. These pics are from a new website they started for town history, figured I would share.

View attachment 1122221

View attachment 1122220

Cool pics! Do you mind sharing the website link for the the town history? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom