FJ40 OEM POWER STEERING BOX REBUILD KIT PART NUMBER REQUEST (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
G Day folks, I need to rebuild a OEM FJ40 power steering box due to a bad leak around the pitman shaft. I found this thread
40-series Power Steering Gearbox SST's & Rebuild
My local dealer wanted $375 for that kit, so I was wondering if Edelman makes a complete kit like that?
Their site lists many
Repair Kits | plews-edelmann
I searched on Mud and found some matches in threads, but the part numbers mentioned don t look like complete kits when you check the Edelmann catalog pictures.
Does anyone have experience with a complete aftermarket kit?

... so I was wondering if Edelman makes a complete kit like that?

IIRC, a Gates or Edelmann kit for a 1985ish 4Runner will seal that up, may add some options?

IIRC, a Gates or Edelmann kit for a 1985ish 4Runner will seal that up, may add some options?

Yeah, I had heard mini truck with solid axle came with the same box, different mounting, inner components were the same. I found that on the Edelmann site too. I want to hear from people that have used the Edelmann kits to find out which one has all the components of the OEM kit. There are a lot of teflon seals that I'm hoping to replace, not just a pitman shaft radial seal. So if anyone has used an aftermarket kit, was it complete and what was the part number?

Use the mini truck seal kit from from Toyota for.solid axle 4x4 mini., I think there are 2 kits, one has more than the other. 1 is under $100, other is $50 more if I recall. I used the cheaper of the 2 (I think)

This what I used 13 years ago and it's been perfect.

Someplace I had pics of 2 different kits, they were for a 60 series, the more $ had alot of extra stuff.

What year FJ40?
Keep looking, if you aren't replacing or repairing the shaft bearings, the kit should be available in the
US for ~$50 for just the rubber bits.
OnlineAutoParts - Buy parts guaranteed to fit your vehicle
I've ordered a kit from these guys, Aus Doller = Can Dollar essentially. I think it was $69 for '85 70 series box
But I found out later that there are cheaper kits in the states. Try Cruiser Outfitters, Kurt can probably help you out.

IMG_1628.JPG
IMG_1629.JPG

Use the mini truck seal kit from from Toyota for.solid axle 4x4 mini., I think there are 2 kits, one has more than the other. 1 is under $100, other is $50 more if I recall. I used the cheaper of the 2 (I think)

This what I used 13 years ago and it's been perfect.

Someplace I had pics of 2 different kits, they were for a 60 series, the more $ had alot of extra stuff.

Thanks for the reply, I can see that there are two kits, and after reading the above mentioned rebuild post, I do want the more complete kit. As well, I spoke with a rebuilder who strongly suggested replacing the teflon seals that are included in the more comprehensive kit. His information detailed that the teflon seals are likely what has failed on my box. My local dealer wants $375 for the kit, I may try to order online through the above suggested site, but I m not sure about what my final costs will be after crossing the border, still need to look into it.

What year FJ40?
Keep looking, if you aren't replacing or repairing the shaft bearings, the kit should be available in the
I've ordered a kit from these guys, Aus Doller = Can Dollar essentially. I think it was $69 for '85 70 series box
But I found out later that there are cheaper kits in the states. Try Cruiser Outfitters, Kurt can probably help you out.
What year FJ40?

I dont know the year its from, bought it many moons ago from(Abel-TooTall in Vancouver, I think) That thread mentioned above on rebuilding didn,t go into replacing bearings I don t think. Is that something you would recommend? Thanks for the reply and the tips, I will try Kurt, I need a lot more parts as well, so it would be good to put it all together.

I'd sure try to use a OEM kit if possible

So I ordered a kit from a Vancouver rebuild shop. He spoke highly of the quality, it's from a company called Freudenberg. I'll post here with details when it arrives, hopefully it's complete. Price was good and shipping is easy from Van to Merville! Stay tuned!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom