Fj40 heat shield (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I haven't noticed any restoration picture of this heat shield on late Fj40's mounted in the transmission tunnel next to the drivers right foot area. Do they all have them. What goes on the inside. I pulled it off and saw remains of foil and black sealant.

IMG_20201221_105242.jpg

IMG_20201221_105309.jpg

Interesting, I've never seen one, albeit I've never messed with a 40 that new.

My 12/79 build has it. I've never taken it off though.

i have one somewhere in my pile of parts. Mine (1979) also had no foil backing left. Just finished prepping the underside of the tub and firewall for reassembly and now that i need it I can't find it, ha ha. Did you end up putting something on the inside of yours?

Don’t have that on my 81. I’m pretty sure I have every heat shield except for the front half of the exhaust manifold. That rotted off and I’ll be building a new one. Never seen what you posted and I’m fascinated

I can see how that might help somewhat, but the entire driver's side floorboard gets really hot on my '79. I have a rubber floor mat with a fabric Toyota mat on top of the rubber one to try and keep the heat down. I have been considering attaching an aluminum shield under the floorboard (similar to the OEM one at the rear near the muffler.) On a long drive at 75-80 mph on IH35, the Vintage Air system is barely able to keep up.

I can see how that might help somewhat, but the entire driver's side floorboard gets really hot on my '79. I have a rubber floor mat with a fabric Toyota mat on top of the rubber one to try and keep the heat down. I have been considering attaching an aluminum shield under the floorboard (similar to the OEM one at the rear near the muffler.) On a long drive at 75-80 mph on IH35, the Vintage Air system is barely able to keep up.

I'm planning to do Lizard Skin heat block, followed with sound deadening on the underside of my tub. From what I've heard from folks on other projects, the stuff works really well for reducing heat.

Don’t have that on my 81. I’m pretty sure I have every heat shield except for the front half of the exhaust manifold. That rotted off and I’ll be building a new one. Never seen what you posted and I’m fascinated

You should have a different one the shields the exhaust that as of 8/80 ran over the frame verses under the frame 1/79-7/80.

@DougAustinTx When I bought my '1979 I drove it 8 hours home. Drivers floor board got so hot it melted the bottom of my shoe. I had a muffler shop redo that section of the exaust so it sat further away from the floor board but not lower than the frame. It was much better after that.

@DougAustinTx When I bought my '1979 I drove it 8 hours home. Drivers floor board got so hot it melted the bottom of my shoe. I had a muffler shop redo that section of the exaust so it sat further away from the floor board but not lower than the frame. It was much better after that.

Did your 79 have a CAT? Mine has original exhaust and the original CAT. It runs under the frame and has to be lower than the frame.

My exhaust.
20220724_111950.jpg
20220724_112858.jpg

Picture someone else posted of their exhaust that obviously a piece has been replaced where mine had been flattened.
1661810747195.png

Someone else's exhaust on 1/79+ non CAT market.
D934CF16-C2EE-485E-A6F0-C21E1515C4A0.jpeg

Aftermarket piece from another market which is NLA.
P1070175.JPG

The pipe has been made under the Heritage program but not available in the US so far and seems it would cost more than I paid for my 79 to get here from overseas.

I'd have to check when I get home but I'm pretty sure it was routed outside the frame to get around the fuel tank and then back across to the passenger side with the muffler sideways behind the rear axle between frame rails. I don't think it can go straight back within the frame rails due to the fuel tank being beneath the tub?

This skid plate needs to be straightened but it is the one used 8/80+ on all FJ4x and HJ47 models.
IMG_20200105_132905480_HDR.jpg
20220303_145754.jpg

Figure it got bent at the wrecking yard that pull the 2H from a HJ47. Figured bent it better than nothing. Not you you can see the two small brackets on the footwell where it mounts. Easy to see them below the opening for the steering column.
20220304_134857_01.jpg

CCOT sells a nice foil backed heat shield for the floorboards, it helps.

This is why I never did AC on either of my rigs, probably wouldn’t even keep up with heat coming off the floor. You don’t drive them here in AZ wearing flip flops or sandals😳😳😳

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom