FJ40 early hoods explained (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am sure there are numerous postings regarding hood difference but I cannot find one that is all inclusive.
I am currently trying to find a hood for my 70. I am aware that it should be a split hood prior to 72??? Now what are the differences in the early split hoods? Any differences in hood spears? Any changes in hood prop placement? I am trying to keep the body of my build period correct so would any pre 72 hood be ok?
Thanks please take it easy on me

only thing I can think of right now would be to not get an LV hood. the LV hood would not have an holes or provisions for the bumpers and windshield tie downs.
other than that I think they are the same.

or a SWB FJ45 fixed top hood.. No holes.

Yeah my 65 hardtop FJ40 doesn’t have any windshield hold down stuff, but the windshield will fold once the defroster vents are removed. And of course either does my 63 FJ45 SWB fixed top as mentioned.

Yeah my 65 hardtop FJ40 doesn’t have any windshield hold down stuff, but the windshield will fold once the defroster vents are removed. And of course either does my 63 FJ45 SWB fixed top as mentioned.

What was a mystery is the early soft top models starting mid 62 had the defrost vents as well which needed to be pulled to lower the windshield. The hooks and pads were on the hood.:meh:

I am not sure when the change occurred but the early split hoods (guess 65 an earlier) have a sharp angle at the corners of the front center opening and later are rounded. I will try to take some pictures to show what I am talking about.

20171214_180959.jpg

20171214_181003.jpg

20171214_181018.jpg

20171214_181028.jpg

Hmm. No defroster vents on my early ‘64 FST. No indication there ever were any. My heater is aftermarket.

My stock 1965 corragated top has all the hardware on the hood to hold window. Still has the lower vent in window frame.

Same thing on my 65 hardtop FJ40. Lowered the windshield for the first time tonight. Hate to drill holes and mount stuff that never was. A boat cushion and a bungee?

There are differences in length of the split hood prop rod, the pivot point is further forward (and the rod is longer) on some years, sorry don't know the specifics.

Would anyone know if a split hood would fit on my 73. I have one, but when I lay it on my bib and cowl it sits way above the cowl. Any help would be appreciated.

Would anyone know if a split hood would fit on my 73. I have one, but when I lay it on my bib and cowl it sits way above the cowl. Any help would be appreciated.
fjl40.not sure if you ever worked this out back from July 3rd but do you have a picture of the issue you are having?

Hey Drake2, here are some pics. I believe some of my problem was I never had the rubber pad for the bib mount which lifted the hood toward the front. Adjusted fenders but it's still not to where I would like it. Here are some pics before my temper started hitting red. Thinking I could fix it.

hood1.jpg

hood2.jpg

hoodgap.jpeg

split hood on my 73:

hood gap.JPG

My aprons don't line up right but I think the the hood fits fine. It looks like yours is spread out/not formed quite right on the hinge end.

Yes, your hood definitely fits better than mine, I think I will be getting a correct year hood down the line. It seems if you have any more adjustment in your fenders, move them down slightly. Do you have any hood bumpers on the bib? I wish mine fit as good as yours.!!

Check for compressed body mounts, bent frame or tub. I think windshield washers started in 1968, early had none.

I put all new body mounts on and new rubber under hood hinges and the thick rubber under bib mount which I never had before. The hood pad kit is also new. The truck has been offroad and flexed quite a bit. It does look wider at hinge side in my pic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom