FJ40 Dash Pad Removal ? (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm new here and I can't find the search area for How to remove the dash pad on an 82 FJ40. mine seams to be caught on something by the defroster vents. Does anyone have the shop manuals for the FJ40 here on line or a link to them.

Thanks for any help.
Craig

There are 'prongs' behind the dashpad, on the metal extension plate of the dashboard that the pad sits on. You need to pry up on them to release the pad. To do this, the windshield frame needs to be folded down.:frown:

Sure you still want to do it?

Best

Mark A.

There are 'prongs' behind the dashpad, on the metal extension plate of the dashboard that the pad sits on. You need to pry up on them to release the pad. To do this, the windshield frame needs to be folded down.:frown:

Is that specific to an 82 or would that also apply to my 78? I'll be removing mine soon to put in a dashbox.

Same on either one. with the w/shield folded down, you can insert a long heavy screwdriver from the side and pop it..it'll come right off.

I was trying to do the same thing 2 days ago and just gave up, and then put all the screws back in? After all that I figured that the winshield would have to go forward but that seems like a huge pain since I have the hardtop? Pain in the ***

Wow that sounds like alot of work, I can't put my windshield down my top is on for the winter, which is why I bought this one. For a Snow mobile. My windshield wiper doesn't work it needs grounded and that is why I needed to remove the dash pad to put in a ground wire. Any sugestipons for puting in a ground would be helpfull.
Craig
GO COLTS :beer:

A nice black carpet DashMat for $40 is a decent solution until you get a chance take the top off and want to replace your Dash Pad with the $400 OEM part. - The cheaper hard plastic "dash cover" is OK but seems like they never lie down flat. I've heard if you heat em up with a hot air gun or blow dryer you can get an acceptable result.

I have pulled the padded dash several times on my 1970 with out messing with the windshield. So are later models different?

I have pulled the padded dash several times on my 1970 with out messing with the windshield. So are later models different?

After they have been removed a few times they come off pretty easy. The tabs are not really spring steel, so they don't necessarily 'spring' back their original shape.

Any suggestion on re-attaching the prong end to the pad? Is there a good glue or epoxy?

After they have been removed a few times they come off pretty easy. The tabs are not really spring steel, so they don't necessarily 'spring' back their original shape.

So you are saying the 70 dash is the same as later models? Last time I took mine off wasn't real easy but it did come off and went back on with out messing with the windshield.

Careful using pry bars as the plastic covering on those old dashes is brittle.

Any suggestion on re-attaching the prong end to the pad? Is there a good glue or epoxy?
Prong end?

Sorry, I was referring to the pad bellow the pocket door. I assumed they were secured in the same way.
40uvgDNERjO6reif1aZXnQ.jpg
ABTwPwRtQvag4tMhrLqZxw.jpg

I have done similar things like this on other projects so you might give this a try.
flange2.jpg
Clear away a small area around the hole and then bur out a couple slots on either side of the hole. You will not need much. 1/16 - 1/8 each side. Be careful not to go to deep into the foam. Then take small bolt, 1/4-20? and grind the head to fit into the slot you made. You may have to tack weld a larger head on if you can't find a bolt with a large enough head. You will have to grind the head down thin so it will not push the foam out making a bump on the front side. Once you have everything ground and shaped fit the end of the bolt into the slot and turn about a quarter turn. Make sure everything lines up and when you are satisfied apply some JB weld or other glue of your choice to hold it in place. Make sure that what ever you use will not melt the foam part. The threaded bolt should hold reasonably snug.

Has anyone successfully removed a dashpad w/o lowering the windshield? If so, care to share any details. Open to any and all ideas here.

‘78 FJ40, replacing an original cracked pad w/ a new OEM pad, so if destroying the original pad helps (cutting it up to remove etc) then so be it. Thanks in advance.

-Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom