FJ40 Brake Switch Differences (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,
I'm in the process of complete rewire of my 72 40 project and I've come to the brake light switch. On the pigtail that was originally on the vehicle there are 4 wires, but in speaking to a few others about that switch I'm told I should only have 2 for an oem switch. I'm wondering if the one that has 4 are some of them for the dash light? I'm not planning on using that so I'm thinking I should have the switch with only 2 wires then? If I keep the switch I have should I just ignore 2 of them?
thanx
Craig

You can pull that switch apart and rebuild it. I think @MadMace just posted good pictures. If it’s stamped with a Teq logo, you’ll know it’s probably OEM and correct. Hint: I can tell you 71 schematics have many errors.

How many wires on your 72 harness brake swich plug? 6 wires? Odds are your harness is correct and I’m guessing the few you’ve talked to are looking at the schematic not a vehicle.;)

5A885BFF-C05F-4F07-8E7A-E30BB1913022.jpeg

9D35ABF3-D3AB-41A6-AC79-5E34DAE71A86.jpeg

I noted some 71 schematic errors here perhaps your 72 will have a similar harness.

Last edited:
I’m guessing what’s going on is I’m calling it a brake light switch meaning stop light switch. And I’m mixing that up with e-brake. E-brake has only 2 wires.

71 stop switch is a 4 spade plug w/ 6 wires running to it (2GW’s paired in a spade, GW & GY paired in a spade, a single GW spade, and a GW in another spade.

Park switch(E-Brake) is two female bullets. Both are GW.

Stop switch branch, park brake branch and single GR horn wire all branch out in the same spot basically.

Lemme know if you need any pictures or wire measurements. Guessing a 72 might be similar.

Are you rebuilding a harness or is it in the 40?

71 stop switch is a 4 spade plug w/ 6 wires running to it (2GW’s paired in a spade, GW & GY paired in a spade, a single GW spade, and a GW in another spade.

Park switch(E-Brake) is two female bullets. Both are GW.

Stop switch branch, park brake branch and single GR horn wire all branch out in the same spot basically.

Lemme know if you need any pictures or wire measurements. Guessing a 72 might be similar.

Are you rebuilding a harness or is it in the 40?

Is this what you refer to ?

DSCN0190.JPG

Can you include some pictures of the switch your talking about? I have just cleaned/redone all the switches on my 74 FST and have plenty of pictures to share—just need to know which one.

This is what I have:

9008752C-F91B-4DAC-980E-4788CB41A7AC.jpeg

78FD0C97-F581-4531-968E-BA420561194B.jpeg

8AE9E148-6BC8-40F5-AE7A-B461D28E3F12.jpeg

I'd like to wire these tail lamps up, but I just can't figure out the combination of wires. The new harness is the one from Spector. I believe it's a Painless kit.

I don’t know if this helps. I got under the steering column to take a look. This is the connection you’re looking for, I think.

FC55095D-AE79-4B5E-8CAF-F0AFCA64CE32.jpeg

Last edited:
I might be able to clean it up a little and get a better picture if that would help you. Just let me know.

But, my harness I'm building from a kit.

My OEM brake switch is the one you show in the picture above, except it still has the pin connector/housing attached where yours has been removed.

Midpost I see you have Painless kit:idea:. I didn’t understand that.

Anywho, I already typed this out.:lol: This is for a stock 71 wiring harness.

Here’s my coolerman pigtail
Note the corresponding wire color for each pin.
A8AEB7FD-A2FB-4DEE-91BA-A2ECF7FA3A0E.jpeg

D09D2852-5A59-4593-9C78-4527EBEB00D7.jpeg

50A8E22C-F7E8-4770-8F3A-654424B642ED.jpeg

Here are trailer wire colors on my harness and the coolerman pigtail colors they connect to
Harness GY —> G
Harness GO —> Y
Harness WB —> W
Harness G —>BRN

Ha! That’s exactly what I needed...however I actually figured it out with some dumb luck and switching a couple of wires on the taillight...lol. Thanx for all your input. I next have the wiper switch to tackle. All I want it to do is turn on and have slow and fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom