FJ40/55 2F Exhaust Manifold Insulators (aka Heat Shields)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
May 20, 2007
Threads
200
Messages
9,350
Location
Auburn
I hesitate to start new threads but I went through 10+ pages of threads doing searches and couldn't find information on exactly what the OEM manifold heat shields for my 1977 (10/76) FJ55 look like. I have been looking for a pair, on and off, for some time and have even bought some that will, or might, fit but after a bit of research it appears they are not correct. So I thought maybe it would be helpful for me and others to have this information aggregated - and if there is a thread out there that I missed then please just point me in that direction.

This turned out to be a fairly long post but what I'm looking for, to be clear, are photos of the insulators (heat shields) that were OEM for 08/76 - 12/78. If you also have photos for 01/79 and later that might help someone else in the future. Thanks.

Looking at the parts diagrams it appears there are 3 different variations for the FJ40 and FJ55 across the 2F engine years. That does include the California Spec engines which appear to have very different looking heat shields.

Part numbers and illustrations for 01/75 through 12/78:
1790687523680.webp


01/75 - 07/76 illustration
1790687797997.webp


08/76 - 12/78 illustration.
1790687901445.webp


Part numbers and illustrations for 01/79 and later
1790687384961.webp

1790687328929.webp


Finding photos that positively identify the model year has been a bit elusive although I admit that I haven't spent hours searching the internet. Here is a photo that I edited from a for sale ad in the Classifieds that @mattressking posted. I am assuming this is the first variant (01/75 - 07/76) as it came off a 76 2F and it matches the illustration closely.

1790688379463.webp


I bought a pair off ebay IIRC, could have been the Classifieds here as it's been awhile, that were advertised as a 77/78 pair but l believe one shield came off the rear of a '80+ model and I have no idea where the other one came from but they definitely weren't a matching pair. I can almost see the second one fitting somehow but I'm guessing the second one maybe came off an FJ60.

1790688709778.webp


1790688770848.webp


That's all the information I have. Appreciate your patience if you actually made it to here. :D
 
sans ca emissions you have it right. There is the one piece exhaust manifold 75-76. The metal ones in the first pic go on that manifold.
The 3 piece manifold for 77-78 style is correct in the second pic but your exhaust manifold is later. Although you don't show the heater riser on the front of the manifold. That one transitions to fiber.
The later 79+ has 2 different shields the one you show in the 2nd pic. The one in the 3rd starts 80-87. So, your middle pic should be correct style for 79-80 and the exhaust manifold you have. That is not a 10/76 exhaust manifold. That is throwing you off if you didn't realize it.

The other way to look at the rear ones is what EGR is used. The 75-76 use a threaded u pipe to the exhaust manifold, 1 piece . The 77-78 uses a u pipe with the 2 studs, 3 piece manifold. The 79+ has a long style pipe to the 3 piece exhaust manifold . I'll see if i can get some pics later.
 
Last edited:
In this pic bottom is 75-76 egr, top is 77-78 egr. These 2 dump to the egr @4/5
IMG_0507.webp

80s manifolds and egr, note heater riser on the left of the down pipe and egr dump @#6
IMG_0508.webp


This is a 6/77 exhaust manifold, note heater riser on the right and egr dump under the 4/5 exhaust
IMG_0509.webp
 
Last edited:
sans ca emissions you have it right. There is the one piece exhaust manifold 75-76. The metal ones in the first pic go on that manifold.
The 3 piece manifold for 77-78 style is correct in the second pic but your exhaust manifold is later. Although you don't show the heater riser on the front of the manifold. That one transitions to fiber.
The later 79+ has 2 different shields the one you show in the 2nd pic. The one in the 3rd starts 80-87. So, your middle pic should be correct style for 79-80 and the exhaust manifold you have. That is not a 10/76 exhaust manifold. That is throwing you off if you didn't realize it.

The other way to look at the rear ones is what EGR is used. The 75-76 use a threaded u pipe to the exhaust manifold, 1 piece . The 77-78 uses a u pipe with the 2 studs, 3 piece manifold. The 79+ has a long style pipe to the 3 piece exhaust manifold . I'll see if i can get some pics later.
Really appreciate the detailed reply; thanks. So a couple of comments/questions.

Yes, I didn't appreciate that the manifold was 79+. I had an unrepairable crack in my intake manifold and went through more than one manifold combination to get to where we are. To be honest, I was just sending everything directly to my engine builder so I'm not exactly sure which purchase finally got decked to the intake and sent off to Jet Hot.

So for this manifold, the first heat shield that I showed on my engine (2nd photo) is correct for the rear? From your comments it sounds like the front shield with the heater riser is fiber for 79+ manifolds? I don't have any shields in hand with the heat riser FWIW. Starting to think my build will proceed without these at all.

Would still be nice to have a photo of the correct 77-78 heat shields. Just for my edification if nothing else. Maybe someone will post those.
 
Back
Top Bottom