Wanted FJ40 2F 78+ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Our twin boys will be driving next summer and we’re thinking of getting them an FJ40 vs another Toyota, as we want one too - perfect solution right?! Thinking great for them to learn about mechanics and fixing/restoring things themselves-life long skills. One kid is taking high school auto as an elective as well. And it’s slow enough that they’re less likely get speeding tickets. Are roll overs an issue?
It’ll have to be dependable daily driver as they’ll drive it to school every day...and we’ll drive it too. Is this possible for low $teens?
Thinking getting a newer 40 as it’ll have PS and front discs...will need AC as we’re in burning hot Texas.
So, would love to know what do you all think?

It was my first car at 16, and I loved it. I think if they don't have to commute hours on a freeway and its around town, you might call it perfect. And yes, prevents any hope of hot rodding.

It was my first car at 16, and I loved it. I think if they don't have to commute hours on a freeway and its around town, you might call it perfect. And yes, prevents any hope of hot rodding.
Ok, one thumbs up!

Realistically, I would suggest that a "good" FJ40 with PS and A/C is going to be a 1979 or later unless these options are aftermarket. These truck usually bring $40K on up. Not something you will want your 16 year old driving. If you found one for less it's going to need attention cosmetically, mechanically or both. Roll overs are not common but it all depends on driving habits and geometry. The higher the truck is, the more prone to roll overs.

You would be much better off to look at newer vehicles built in the 90's or 2000's. Good news here is that an the 80 series is much larger, comfortable and can be had for far less money. They are equally underpowered and fuel economy is about the same. If you're talking teens, I'd be chasing a good 96 or 97 Land Cruiser.

My 2 cents worth...

I agree with @overton. Get something with basic airbags at least. Teens do teen things, leave the 40's to the old farts who have a lot less to lose and a lot more wisdom behind the wheel. I sold my '76 Bronco after realizing it would never be safe for my kids and to a certain extent - me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom