FJ / Hummer3 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Already did. Stupid, fawkin' water pump! :mad:

If it's any consolation it was a stock water pump...only 18 years old.

I've got the keys to his rig... :D :grinpimp:

Yeah unfortunately neither my truck or I have been wheeling since coal mine. I really wish it was easier to get back from Korea to wheel. It looks like I've got another 1.5 years here.

I havent really played with rocks much. More fire roads and cross country stuff. I think its good to have some weight, but not to much.

Actually, no... the ligher the better. In Europe they sell the Fiat Panda 4x4, originally developed by Steyr-Puch, a small extremely lightweight (around 1800 pounds) 4x4 car.. It will go places, especially in snow, you wouldn't be able to go in any other normal 4x4.

It comes with a a 4 cyl. 5 speed manual, 44 kw 1.2 litre engine with 102 Nm torque at 2500 rpm, consumes around 40 mpg in average. Or a 1.3 MultiJet DIESEL; 51 kw, 145 Nm torque with similar mpg.

Of course it is not a fast car, but real 4x4 are not meant to be sport cars anyway. Comes with ABS, EDB and MSR (no ESP available on the 4x4 version). and small wheels 185/65 R14... very good for snow and mud!

It is short; 11.7 feet,has a very short wheelbase;7 ft, a great plus in off-roading, the standard version has a max gradient climbable greater then 50%, max departure angle is 42-45 degrees, approach angle is 24-26 degrees, ramp over angle is 24 degrees.
There is also a slightly rased model, I think only in Italy, specially made for fire brigades rangers etc. that is even more flexible.

In fact this car is very close to the original 4x4 Toyota and Jeep in philosophy.

Here some pics of the original version that came out around 10 year ago and the new version.. that will participate at the Paris-Dakar rally this year.
11892_1.jpg
panda2.jpg
fiat_panda_dakar_2007_1.jpg

Last edited:
the truth is...

h3 hummer = bling and poor reliability

land cruiser = good reliability and no bling

fjc= not a land cruiser

fixed it for you:flipoff2:

My last vehicle was an H3 and it was very comfortable/luxurious, well put together and drove nicely about town.

I am just looking to downsize to either an FJ or a RAV4 since we have moved from the suburbs into the city core.

thanks - :D

fjc = best option of it's type...

Thanks for his ignorance? Clearly the new FJ is the latest incarnation in a long history of Land Cruisers. I have seen the back and forth flame wars. To each their own.

fixed it for you:flipoff2:

I think its funny that all these knobs constant bag on the FJC. In 10 years, when they can afford one, they will be considered LC's...What a tool!

Oh and I was sitting behind a H3 at a light today noticing how low the rear shock mounts sit. Lower than the center of the axle housing.

great info there blueskies, thanks for posting up some stats. I think it will help people :thumbsup:

great info there blueskies, thanks for posting up some stats. I think it will help people :thumbsup:

My dad and brother both bought H3's last month, and they are so full of themselves right now is nauseating :rolleyes:. So, I had to dig out the facts to cut through the sh!tstorm of misinformation that will be coming my way shortly, now that I'm the blacksheep in the family :D. Some things never change...

They were campaining pretty hard to get me to buy an H3 too, but I like the FJC so much better for so many reasons.

Blueskies

From that chart there is not a lot of differance, except in the Tourqe and of course the price.
I am suprised that the H3 has better angles of departure and approch.

big diff. in shoulder/headroom- the H3 really feels smaller than the stats show, imo.

FJC has 4wheel vented discs(shorter stopping dist. and prob. much better fade resistance)
H3 has solid disc rears and smaller vented fronts.

Look at the 0-60 time. The H3 couldn't keep up with a Prius. Maybe more noticable is the passing acceleration where the FJC is a full 2.4 sec faster.
FJC also has a higher tow rating & overall cargo volume. More importantly, I think the FJC's cargo volume is more useable from the rear.
I feel the 4 full dr H3 is more convienent from the side tho.

Keep in mind the FJC does this with no mpg penalty- in fact, it is slightly better but basically =.

I'm surprised the FJC has higher ground clearance numbers but the H3 comes stock w/ 33's, tires are more at the corners (wheelbase) and a better bumpers (higher) so easy to see why it has better angles.

I noticed the comparison is between the automatic transmission models. Wonder how the manual transmissions compare....

I think its funny that all these knobs constant bag on the FJC. In 10 years, when they can afford one, they will be considered LC's...What a tool!

touchy...

i'm not that insecure, what folk here call the fjc is up to them. the fact is i'm looking to buy one for the wife. the reason being is i secretly want to drive it as well but don't tell anyone ;).

now i must admit that the fjc is the best value and very reliable and quite capable for its type.

:grinpimp: :beer:

welcome to mud. all i have to say that will end this discussion quick is go drive both of em. and find out for yourself. Thats the best way to know.

on the subject of the AMerican cars. Most of the american made cars are made from parts being produced in foregn countries whereas alot of the import cars are being designed and made here in the us.... toyota not so much but Honda and others are mostly american made now.

but yeah go testdrive one. I drove a 5spd manual and really drove it hard when I tested it on the drive and i was VERY impressed with the HP. ALso does GM sell a supercharger for that engine? I didn't think so . I believe TRD sell one for the FJcruiser or 4 runner ( same motor) so theres something to think about.

also i have an old 79 camaro and LOVE it ( it does ahve its problems) but it has that raw american muscle that was truly AMerican back in the day. Just to show Im not a hater of the real AMerican cars.

enjoy:D :cheers:

Hi
I was directed to this site by Ross in Korea, Thanks Ross
My dilema is what to buy. A Toy:confused: ota Land Cruiser or a Hummer3.
Now I am a Power Wagon guy, no dought the greatest 4x4 ever built:cheers: .
But Dodge has ruined that one some years ago. I am well aware of the reputation of the older LCs . But being raised by the US Navy I have a very hard time with cars of Japan :mad:
The LC is and has long been the only Japanese vehical I would ever consider owning.
Im lookingh for reasons to buy a LC :idea:
I know the price difference, The mileage is very close, But I was reading that the LC needs the high octane stuff. Not a good start in my opinion. I havent bought that stuff since I last put gas in my 65 Riviera, and that was leaded gas.
So convince me people, right now I could go either way, but if one or the other offered a Diesle engine that would do it right there. But I dont see that happening any time soon.
Thanks

I may not own one, YET, but as far as Im concerned it IS a LC!!!!!
The white roof says so.
As far as I know Toyota built it to resume the LC legacy.
I even had an argument with some city saleswoman on the subject. She was taking for ever to find me a brochure and came back saying we dont even have any LCs here and I pointed to two and asked what do you think thoses are?
The idea that one of the 5 toughest trucks money can buy has evolved into an overpriced family suv is enough to make any 4wheelers stoumach churn.
FJ Land Cruiser

also i have an old 79 camaro and LOVE it ( it does ahve its problems) but it has that raw american muscle that was truly AMerican back in the day. Just to show Im not a hater of the real AMerican cars.

enjoy:D :cheers:

Off topic, but I also have had a number of American Muscle cars, and unles you swapped the engine and tranny outta that '79 Camaro, it hasn't got an real "raw american muscle", 1971 through 1993 or so were sad years for American Muscle. My experience:
1967 Thunderbird - 390/C6 Tranny
1969 Corvette - 350 LT1 w/M22
1970 Firebird Formula 400/M21 Tranny
1972 Corvette - 350/M21
1976 Camaro - 350/TH350
1979 Firebird Formula 301/BW T-10
1984 Corvette 350/Auto
1993 Z28 350/6spd
1999 Corvette 350/6spd
The nice thing about those old GMs was that SB350 - which, as you'll notice in the other forums, makes a fine replacement for an F or 2F motor. Right now I've got an FJC and the '72 Corvette, and I think the FJ would beat the 'vette in most categories, except torque (and 70's chic;) )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom