FJ cruiser undercoating (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok i don't know if this goes under 40 series or fjcruiser. but i am wondering has anyone payed attention to the undercoating on the fj cruisers?

it is a urethane coating and is so soft. i can make a finger impression and it will stay for a few seconds. now thats soft, but its really durable also. I asked the dealer what brand they use and the guy didn't know. does anyone know where I can get this undercoating? does the dealer carry it? i bet if you put it on a 40 it would be as silent as the new cars. no joke this stuff is awsome.

well thats my question. does anyone know?

Was it port installed?

Dealer installed>?

Or was it a dealer traded vehicle (see original window sticker)

Was it port installed?

Dealer installed>?

Or was it a dealer traded vehicle (see original window sticker)

yea its stock it comes on them stock. whoever has taken a look at these up close if you know what it is please tell me!

Im almost at the point ofgoing to one fo the toyota headquarters or something pretty soon. who knows

yea its stock it comes on them stock. whoever has taken a look at these up close if you know what it is please tell me!

Im almost at the point ofgoing to one fo the toyota headquarters or something pretty soon. who knows

YES, it is on all new FJ's. I don't know what it is, it is almost like tar. It does leave a reside on your finger when you touch it. It is not Ziebart or dealer installed rust proofing.

Zack

The soft undercoating has been appearing on all new cars. My LX and FJ both have them. I think this is used to also dampen the noise when rock hits the fender wells.

I've seen it too, pretty thick coat too. Would be nice to put on a 40.

I noticed that the dealer's demo had a much thicker coat than what my truck received.:mad:

ya so if anyone knows where to get this stuff that would be awsome. i swear to you all hehe if i can find out where to get this stuff i will do a write up or something and report on how well it does on the fj40 as far as sound and rock deflecting goes.

woudl anyone know where to start on asking where to get it. I know the dealer sales guys wouldn't tell me. maybe a dealership manager or owner can give me a number to call for info? or maybe the jsut wont say. they do want you to buy ther vehicles anyway. well news for the toyota dealership. I already have bought one of their vehicles. It just happens to be a 1970 haha

anyways..

the salesman that i have talked to said it was some kind of polyurethane coating

the salesman that i have talked to said it was some kind of polyurethane coating

I think not, salesman dont know sh!t.

The dealers demo might have had a thicker coating, since they did that in house and did a $595 or so mark up.

You will have to do a search in your area for under coaters. Some people other than dealers install it.

Call your local dealers and see who offers this. Call service, not sales.

They all buy from the same vendors in the area. Comes in quart cans that have a screw on nozzle hooked to air.

I think not, salesman dont know sh!t.

The dealers demo might have had a thicker coating, since they did that in house and did a $595 or so mark up.

You will have to do a search in your area for under coaters. Some people other than dealers install it.

Call your local dealers and see who offers this. Call service, not sales.

They all buy from the same vendors in the area. Comes in quart cans that have a screw on nozzle hooked to air.

the thing is i don't think it was done in the area as a dealr installed option. I think it was done out of the factory. thats why I need to find a way to see what they used to I can track down the company.

oh well i will figure it out

ok well i called toyota corporate and they said it is a special undercoating only made by the toyota engeneers and can be applied to any year toyota by the dealer as long as its not too old ( too old being my 70 fj40) and besides that they are going to charge an arm and a legofcourse ( i wans't even considering) . so im glad i got that cleared up.

also it was interesting toyota offers a 10 year paint chipping or damaging waranty. In ten years if you say, wheel the hell outta your new fj cruiser they will repair any nicks or dings within ten years because they have applied a wax coating and other preventative things over the paint to prevent that kind fo stuff. It was interesting..

anyways i am looking into ARMA coating. I know it is not the most well known undercoating but they do more than just truck pickup beds. SO they have a pretty broad knowledge of the difference in every project they shoot with their coating. I talked with one of the guys down here in the livermore location for a while ( john) very nice guy and very helpful. He really knows his stuff. hes very flexible , he will coat ANYTHING it seams. their projects of this month include a freightliner and several train cars they are sandblasting and coating. they have lots of different purpose type coatings, one for truck beds and autos, one style for boats and the more industrial uses that resist different chemicals. THey even apply their certain coating that sound deadens to the extreme but it is two times the cost extra per square foot to apply.

enough of my ranting i am my own thread thread and asking:

anyone heard of them.. got a cruiser shot by their coating before?? ive already seen their work and it is flawless even texture and everything just wondering if anyone on the board has used it?

I mean, the dealer can under coat it again and charge you $595.00 for it.

My dealer had detail install a $20 stripe and calls it an appearance package for $595.00 over MSRP. Sold one to my nieghbor for MSRP plus the s***ty stripe for $595 over. I took the stripe off tonight.

Since Toyota stepped in and said must be sold at MSRP. Thats cool, they just start adding sunroofs, leather, undercaoting, lifts, running boards or sliders and other items to jack up the price. Want it? got to pay the price or wait.

also it was interesting toyota offers a 10 year paint chipping or damaging waranty. ..
I haven't heard of this. I just finished filling the 30 or 40 rock chips in my paint. It seems the rocks flung up by the front tires will hit the front of the rear wheel flair, and rebound into the paint just in front of the rear tire. :mad:

I worked at NUMMI, where they build the Tacoma. It's a special formula applied at the factory, after the ED/Phosphate, and before Primer coating.

It is a poly urethane coating, I beleive Dupont was the supplier at the time. It's good stuff. But it's also BAKED on, I can't imagine that the dealer would be able to install the same thing.

I worked at NUMMI, where they build the Tacoma. It's a special formula applied at the factory, after the ED/Phosphate, and before Primer coating.

It is a poly urethane coating, I beleive Dupont was the supplier at the time. It's good stuff. But it's also BAKED on, I can't imagine that the dealer would be able to install the same thing.

Maybe I am misunderstood. Each and every dealer on the planet installs accessories to ad profit. undercaoting is one of them that is a huge money maker. You have to have a stall designed for application and an hourly guy spraying every vehicle that comes through pdi if its not a presold or dealer trade.

for example our ford store orders all trucks without running boards, bedliners and bumpers. When it goes through PDI every truck gets running boards (besides 2wd rangers), bumpers and bed liners. Parts made $$ buy ordering them and marking them up, tech's make 2.5 hours installing them, service charges sales and sales marks it all up and passes the cost onto the buyer. this makes for a HUGE interal profits. When your doing 150 trucks a month, thats huge!

Do dealers (Non-Toyota) add BS dealer installs to make money? YES

Does TOYOTA factory undercoat their Vehicles - Yes. Every one of them.

My point is -- While a dealer could undercoat ON TOP OF the existing undercoat, I don't think it's possible for any dealer (Or DIY'er) to install TOYOTA's factory undercoating.

My point is -- While a dealer could undercoat ON TOP OF the existing undercoat, I don't think it's possible for any dealer (Or DIY'er) to install TOYOTA's factory undercoating.

Correct, Form what you are saying its a pretty intense process from the factory.

Here in the PNW they call it the NWPP, North West Protection Package. This is undercoating and paint sealant.

The undercoating on the FJC is not like any undercoating I've seen before. I almost wouldn't even call it "undercoating". To look at it, and feel it, it seems like it is a soft rubber/foam coating. In places, it is up to an inch thick. It's more of a sound deadener and not a rust proofing thing. Probably does both, but it's not that thin black crap that gets sprayed on.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom