FJ / BJ tank 01/1979 + replica from Canada (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was searching for a tank for my restoration (the tank is for 01/1979+).

There is one new replica available. The documents says it is made in Canada.

IMG_3417.JPG

This replica doesn't have a drain plug. But it is not a problem.

The big problem for me was the pipes.
They are not properly welded.
When we preheat the tank as a preparation to powder coating - we realized that they were fixed with a solder for electrical wiring (or similar type). At 120 degrees Celsius the solder was melted and the pipes almost fall down.
IMG_3329.JPG

It was an exercise to weld it properly.
IMG_3391.JPG

Just beware

I believe solder is the normal method to install the vent tubes. Even on factory tanks.

There are two types of solders: low temp melting (<140 Grad Celsius, in Reality 120) and high temperature (>210 Grad Celsius, usually 300+).
It is ok to use a high temp for vent tubes, but not the low temp.
By the way this low temp is used for all pipes, incl a main pipe (45 mm).
As well as the low temp solder is quite soft I doubt it is possible to pass any test for the tank (temp + int pressure).
And for sure the factory tanks never use this low temp type of solder as well as the factory pipes are welded into the tank.

That's odd, if this was a Spectra tank from Canada that Rock Auto was selling, We powder coated one a couple years ago with no issues.
I believe all the joints appeared to be brazed with a copper alloy. I found the tank to be very high quality. I notice Rock auto doesn't seem to carry them anymore. I would call Spectra direct

Many now going to rear (auxiliary tank) as their one and only tank- - -just saying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom