Fire Pit (Sputnik!) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Brentbba

Former Golfer
Threads
I'm retiring Sputnik after 11 wonderful years. I built her for a maiden trip to DV back in 2006 and she's served me well. With the James Baroud soon to be occupying the entire roof rack, I've got nowhere to transport her or firewood. She's made from a washing machine tub and has plumbing flange feet. Her top rim is a little beat up, but she enjoys a nice warm fire and is quite useful where metal fire pits are required.

She's available for pick up to a good home.

2014-05-01 203002-1521616.JPG

What?!?! Viva Sputnik!! Time to consider a Snow Peak pack and carry fireplace:D

I've got an Outland (I think) propane fire pit. Bought one when we had all the fire bans in the local mountains when only the propane fires were allowed - better than nothing. It's a lot smaller than Sputnik! It does NOT replace a nice hot wood burning fire tho!!!

Where in OC? I'd be honored to continue her service..

Some good memories sitting around Sputnik. Second the Snow Peak for wood fires. That's what I had on our DV trip in March.

Second the Snow Peak for wood fires. That's what I had on our DV trip in March.

Yep - those were great Dan. What size did the two of you have?

The large size. Was able to find one one Campsaver.com for 20% off.

Ok - those things aren't cheap!

Yep. Love my Snow Peak pit. Definitely get the large.

Will wait until after shakedown outing before dropping a couple hundred on one of these. Trying to pair down from all the stuff I hauled around in the trailer.

Yes, lots of good memories around "The Sput". Looking forward to the next sets of adventures.....!

Brent, funny this thread should pop up. I just got gone building mine for the toy hauler. When I was installing the legs I found out it would polish up...:). I will never do that again but it was fun to see it shine. Turns out all you need is windex and a rag.

20170720_173700.jpg

20170720_173651.jpg

20170720_173725.jpg

Last edited:
Nice stainless tub!

Craigslists score, only $25 bucks. I think the rest of the hardware was more. I left the legs hand tight so that they can come off if needed. I am going to add a DIY propane kit to it as well. Some of the state parks won't allow wood burning fire pits.

20170713_183217.jpg

I think you'll find that after several good fires you won't be able to take those legs off! BTW - drill some slightly larger holes around the base maybe a quarter of the way up for added air flow and the ability to stick a long lighter or torch lighter in to start the fire. You can see those larger holes in my pic above. I used a cheapo $12 welding torch from HF that worked great!

BTW - nice idea to make it convertible to a propane fire as a back up. Usually, however, unless there's an outright ban on wood fires, this will absolutely suffice as a 'metal fire ring' required here in the PRK. Never, never does hurt to ask a ranger tho!!! A nameless individual on this board got nailed for one very $$$ ticket for a ground fire within a rock pit (no metal pit).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom