Find that leak... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good evening fellas, the rainy season has started and I walked out to the 80 to see that the drivers floorboard carpet was wet (flat portion). What are the usual suspects to look for?

Is there a drain somewhere that is likely clogged?

The leak could be in the lower corner of the windshield. Water can make its way around the glass inside the channel of the gasket that it fits into. This is very common and will wet the carpet.

^^^This^^^, fairly common after the windshield has been replaced.

Another source IME is a torn vapor barrier behind the door panel. If any work has been done say to replace the window glass or window lift motor, that barrier is often not repaired/replaced after the work is done. Some water normally trickles into the door cavity past the belt weather strip and out the drain slits at the bottom of the door, but if the vapor barrier is torn it can also leak into the cabin between the door panel and door itself.

I’ll try and start with replacing the windshield. It’s heavily pitted and due for one. There was a shop that was recommended to me a few mo tus ago in SoCal. Their waiting list is a few weeks out last time I checked. If that solves the problem then we are good-to-go.

I’ll have a local shop check the sunroof drains, likely it will be the dealer. I’m reluctant to take it there but I’m in Chico Ca for another month or so. George is booked as usual.

I’ll post a pic of the wet spot on the carpet to see if that helps in determining where it’s coming from.

I have a bit of a laundry list to do. Replace the power steering gearbox, swap front driveshaft, maybe reveled the brakes as i believe there might be air I couldn’t get out of the ABS unit.

I’ll try and start with replacing the windshield. It’s heavily pitted and due for one. There was a shop that was recommended to me a few mo tus ago in SoCal. Their waiting list is a few weeks out last time I checked. If that solves the problem then we are good-to-go.

I’ll have a local shop check the sunroof drains, likely it will be the dealer. I’m reluctant to take it there but I’m in Chico Ca for another month or so. George is booked as usual.

I’ll post a pic of the wet spot on the carpet to see if that helps in determining where it’s coming from.

I have a bit of a laundry list to do. Replace the power steering gearbox, swap front driveshaft, maybe reveled the brakes as i believe there might be air I couldn’t get out of the ABS unit.
You can duct tape the sunroof seal to isolate it an see if the problem goes away or persists. That will help pinpoint which one it is first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom