Finally added a stout to the fleet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Feb 13, 2018
Threads
25
Messages
220
Location
Southern Illinois
Been looking for the perfect truck to build and after years finally found one that was within reasonable drive to go grab. Picked up this non-running New Mexico 67 from a property outside of OKC. Little bummed with the damage but it’s repairable and complete. It’s been swapped with a bigger engine (90 whopping horsepower) and 4 speed on the floor. Plans are to fix the front and fender, drop it on a late 90s 2wd Tacoma chassis and swap in a 3sge beams with 6 speed for a fun street truck/shop truck.

IMG_3122.webp
IMG_3120.webp
IMG_3109.webp
IMG_3123.webp
IMG_3127.webp
 
looks like it needs a 2jz to me....
 
looks like it needs a 2jz to me....
It takes a bit of work to make them fit and makes them nose heavy. The beams is less power but I think it will make the truck more balanced and fun to drive, worst case a boosted beams makes some serious power for a lightweight truck. It did cross my mind several times though to do 2jz or UZ
 
Its cool lookin...
just did a little beams reading sounds interesting
 
Last edited:
Its cool lookin...
just did a little beams reading sounds interesting
Both the 3sge and 4age engines are legendary for their time. Nothing crazy to modern standards but fits the “drive slow car fast” vibes I’m aiming for with the stout
 
One thing I have none of are the hub caps. I wonder if early “T” stamped Land Cruiser hubcaps would fit
I found these the other day, went back and forth with the seller for a bit, but the shipping and tariffs from Australia weren't worth it for me.


The Lite Stout has a smaller 14" wheel and smaller hubcap, so unfortunately those won't fit. Thanks for the suggestions though!
 
9eb179fdac8fc6bbb9abdc0d136aacc3.webp

Still haven’t started the build just yet as I’m acquiring parts still. I was about to order everything to start modifying the 2001 Tacoma chassis for air but came across a hell of a deal for a 1992 custom chassis that I couldn’t pass on. A bit more show truck than I wanted but the price was right and as the fj45 SWB build wraps up I really need to step up to make this build better.
 
View attachment 4220659
Still haven’t started the build just yet as I’m acquiring parts still. I was about to order everything to start modifying the 2001 Tacoma chassis for air but came across a hell of a deal for a 1992 custom chassis that I couldn’t pass on. A bit more show truck than I wanted but the price was right and as the fj45 SWB build wraps up I really need to step up to make this build better.
What am i looking at here... looks trick
 
What am i looking at here... looks trick
It’s basically a custom chassis with a mustang 2 front and a cantilever rear 4 link setup.
IMG_2173.webp
IMG_2183.webp


The mustang 2 front is just a more modern-ish setup, replaces the steering box with a rack and instead of torsion bars you have a more traditional a-arm. Lots of aftermarket options for this setup.

The rear is where it gets wild. Basically instead of a bag between the axle and frame you have a cantilever arm which depending on how it sets up it can multiply the lift of the bag.
 
Ya thats above my pay grade
 
Ya thats above my pay grade
I was down to modify the tacoma one with an engineered kit but I’m no where near the skill level to pull something like this off, plus I snagged it for about 1/5th the price to have a custom chassis build to this level.
 
Back
Top Bottom