Fatal Manufacturing Flaw with Cruiser Parts 62 Grille (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Oops...trouble with a Cruiser Parts item. The aftermarket grille has a fatal manufacturing casting/mold flaw. As you likely know, the grille is affixed with five snap-in posts that fit into sheet metal holes; one in each headlight mount, two in other sheet metal, and one at the bottom...and a single screw. These receptacles are rectangles that are oriented horizontally (kind of the shape of a TV screen). The posts on the grille also have to be horizontally oriented. The bottom post on mine is not. It is oriented vertically...therefore cannot fit (kind of "square peg in round hole" problem). I haven't called into Cruiser Parts yet. Fortunately, the OEM is serviceable.

Heads up.

I believe there's only one manufacturer of that 62 aftermarket grill. There's only one model in the wild. I think they're located in Thailand or Malaysia or something, but I could be mistaken.

I'm not familiar with the 62 grill (I had a 60) but Toyota had weird plastic dooly-bobs for connecting it to the body and not all of them are the same (on a 60). Could it be possible that you're simply missing the correct plastic dooly-bob snap in thingy for the mis fitting thingamajigger?

I believe there's only one manufacturer of that 62 aftermarket grill. There's only one model in the wild. I think they're located in Thailand or Malaysia or something, but I could be mistaken.

I'm not familiar with the 62 grill (I had a 60) but Toyota had weird plastic dooly-bobs for connecting it to the body and not all of them are the same (on a 60). Could it be possible that you're simply missing the correct plastic dooly-bob snap in thingy for the mis fitting thingamajigger?

Hard for me to say if the 60 differs in that respect from the 62. Detective work to do.

I've found nearly all of the aftermarket clips that attach grills have something wrong with their design.
I never found a clip for an older Trooper, Rodeo, Nissan or Mitsu that worked either. I usually have to
replace the clips with the plastic square inserts that are screw captives. They hold better than the
cheap brittle clips. Auveco makes the captives in many sizes to fit most of the square holes I've encountered.

Fatal? Nice hyperbole. Sounds like a hacksaw or file would fix it in about 30 seconds.

Fatal? Nice hyperbole. Sounds like a hacksaw or file would fix it in about 30 seconds.
Seriously. CruiserParts is a junk yard that has a fairly bad rep of selling things dirty and tossed in a box. If they are fabricating aftermarket parts that’s new news to me.

Seriously. CruiserParts is a junk yard that has a fairly bad rep of selling things dirty and tossed in a box. If they are fabricating aftermarket parts that’s new news to me.
Yep, probably just slinging Chinese parts and not manufacturing their own.

Seriously. CruiserParts is a junk yard that has a fairly bad rep of selling things dirty and tossed in a box.

I'll second that. Ordered transfer case that was supposed to be clean and tested...showed up as if they had the box under it as they removed the last bolt holding on the original vehicle. Clearly not clean, or tested...My mechanic was livid, and they denied anything was wrong.

They source them from Asia.

Then I suppose your definitions for "hyperbole" and "fix" need to be part of a disclaimer with this new part. Maybe it should include with instructions "The fasteners required to install this part on your FJ62 as designed are flawed and will not permit the part to be installed without removing one or more of them. Don't hold it against us...and please pay in full."

I can understand that used parts may have issues. We should be able to expect new parts, including aftermarket, to have reasonably accurate fitment and installation capability. Either it can be installed like an OEM part or it cannot. It is impossible to install/affix this part as the vehicle is designed to affix it. That is not hyperbole.

I’ve bought some hard to find mechanical parts from CruiserParts. The parts arrive dirty and they Were slow to ship. That was my expectation so it was fine with me. I wouldn’t buy a new after market grill from them.

I've actually had great luck with them. I've ordered a number of front double cardon driveshafts. They ask 150.00. Specter wants 435.00.
I expect a little more rust and such considering they probably source from the east coast.
Anymore, most the time their pricing is better than Ebay.
Today there's no double cardons on Ebay but quite a few driveshafts , one for 70.00 the rest ranging from 100.00 - 225.00.
Cruiserparts wants 75 to 125.00 all the time.
A customer bought a 60 series air cleaner off ebay last month for 170.00. Didn't have the heart to tell him Cruiserparts wants 75.00

Yep, probably just slinging Chinese parts and not manufacturing their own.
I’ve been on the premises, it’s a total junk yard. I sold my first trick to them for parts. Wished I’d asked for more but I didnt have a clue. I’ve bought things and they must definetly come just torn off a truck, not clean and will guess not tested.
I've actually had great luck with them. I've ordered a number of front double cardon driveshafts. They ask 150.00. Specter wants 435.00.
I expect a little more rust and such considering they probably source from the east coast.
Anymore, most the time their pricing is better than Ebay.
Today there's no double cardons on Ebay but quite a few driveshafts , one for 70.00 the rest ranging from 100.00 - 225.00.
Cruiserparts wants 75 to 125.00 all the time.
A customer bought a 60 series air cleaner off ebay last month for 170.00. Didn't have the heart to tell him Cruiserparts wants 75.00
sometimes you get lucky.

I’ve been on the premises, it’s a total junk yard. I sold my first trick to them for parts. Wished I’d asked for more but I didnt have a clue. I’ve bought things and they must definetly come just torn off a truck, not clean and will guess not tested.

sometimes you get lucky.

Being from Az we're used to seeing 50 y/o parts that have laid outdoors for 20 years and have little if any rust but our yards get picked clean.
We don't have a cruiser yard here so I guess I'm just happy to find parts I need without having to search Ebay for 6 months. Between Cruiserparts and Classic Cruisers I can usually come up with something but even Classic has stuff stored outside and Colorado winters
aren't gentle. Why no one ever chose southern AZ as spot for a cruiser yard is beyond me. We had a classic yard that sold only
pre-66 car parts that had been around for decades in the town of Maricopa. It was all outdoors and you could still find parts for your
40s and 50s cars with little more than light patina. When China was building the Olympic stadium and steel scrap went to 300.00 a ton
the owners sold it all. The land, a bit south of Phoenix, had skyrocketed, the city encroached and developers had been on them with
offers they couldn't refuse. They retired wealthy but we lost a treasure.

sometimes you get lucky.

Being from Az we're used to seeing 50 y/o parts that have laid outdoors for 20 years and have little if any rust but our yards get picked clean.
We don't have a cruiser yard here so I guess I'm just happy to find parts I need without having to search Ebay for 6 months. Between Cruiserparts and Classic Cruisers I can usually come up with something but even Classic has stuff stored outside and Colorado winters
aren't gentle. Why no one ever chose southern AZ as spot for a cruiser yard is beyond me. We had a classic yard that sold only
pre-66 car parts that had been around for decades in the town of Maricopa. It was all outdoors and you could still find parts for your
40s and 50s cars with little more than light patina. When China was building the Olympic stadium and steel scrap went to 300.00 a ton
the owners sold it all. The land, a bit south of Phoenix, had skyrocketed, the city encroached and developers had been on them with
offers they couldn't refuse. They retired wealthy but we lost a treasure.

They source them from Asia.
It is impossible to install/affix this part as the vehicle is designed to affix it. That is not hyperbole.

I was about to pull the trigger on one of these grilles, but it sounds like it's hopeless. I realize that you should not HAVE to trim the grille with a Dremel tool, but are you saying it's not technically possible to make it fit at all, with any form of modification? I like a challenge, but not a hopeless one. I'd love to see a pix of the fitment conundrum. Thank you!

I heard back from Cruiser Parts. They confirmed the manufacturing mistake, and added that that post needs to be removed for installation.

I suppose that the surprise was just not necessary. A note of this in the product description on their website is needed for full disclosure on what you are buying.

Hacksaw, here I come.

I was about to pull the trigger on one of these grilles, but it sounds like it's hopeless. I realize that you should not HAVE to trim the grille with a Dremel tool, but are you saying it's not technically possible to make it fit at all, with any form of modification? I like a challenge, but not a hopeless one. I'd love to see a pix of the fitment conundrum. Thank you!

I can't say I know the whole picture yet since I had to abort the install. I have since learned that if I saw off the post in the faulty position, I can continue the installation to see how the rest fits. My 62 is in a local shop for a few more days, so I won't be able to test that until I get it back. I'll post when I find the results so others can benefit. I have heard from other members who say they had to "grind a bit," but were successful in getting them to fit/install.

@lcsizard...it's not you. It's the mud site server not taking the Post Reply...so we hit it again.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom