Factory tailgate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

nor_cal_cyclist

GOLD Star
Threads
Any idea how "rare" the factory soft top with the tailgate is. I had a '74 that I sold and have regretted it ever since - hardly ever see the tailgate models. Wondering if they demand a premium over the barn door or ambulance door models.

I do not know , but I bet most FJ40s were hardtops , and softops seem to always be less seen as time goes on. You say the same thing all previous owners say, "sold but regretted ever since".

I do not know , but I bet most FJ40s were hardtops , and softops seem to always be less seen as time goes on. You say the same thing all previous owners say, "sold but regretted ever since".

Yea, but at least I figured it out and am getting back into Cruisers. Most guys just reminisce about it...have 2 lined up to purchase and trying to figure out the benefit of the tailgate and a better body vs a totally gone thru engine and rust in all the usual places. I figure I'll be doing some body work with paint, and am evaluating the cost of repairs vs solid to begin with.

Last edited:
Depends on your abilities, enough space, and of course time and money. What year did you sell your cruiser ? In the last 10 years or more prices have gone up so much. But, that also means if done by your own work, chances are you will not lose in the end anyway.

I sold back in 2007 or 2008...was a 74 with tailgate. Had some issues, but the devil you know is always better than the devil you dont know....honestly, cant believe I found another 74 in same color and with a tailgate - no rust and available

Last edited:
Think I'm decided...making a 10 hr round trip tomorrow to go pick up my "new" 74 - should be better than the 71 with a body filled with cancer I have locally available

Last edited:
Tailgates... save yourself lots of money and time. Realsteel has repro tailgates. OEM taligates are very hard to source, they typically have to be rebuilt, ask me how I know, and cost twice what Realsteel's does.

I believe that time period was when the cruiser market was heating up.
Prices were dropping because of the recession. Tried to help a WWII sell his one owner, rust free 1970 FJ40. This was in 2011. In 2010 he was trying to get $19K. Did some research and came up with 10K tops. Thread on Mud about the valve was not much over $9K. If he has sold it about five years earlier he probably got close to his $19K.

Tailgates... save yourself lots of money and time. Realsteel has repro tailgates. OEM taligates are very hard to source, they typically have to be rebuilt, ask me how I know, and cost twice what Realsteel's does.

Advantage of used they usually come with all the hardware or at least the couple I bought have. What's the cost of a Realsteel and hardware if they have it?

Advantage of used they usually come with all the hardware or at least the couple I bought have. What's the cost of a Realsteel and hardware if they have it?
$550.00. No hardware. I had an easier time finding the latches and chains than I did a tailgate in "excellent" condition. Excellent meaning good paint and excellent body filler covered with Rhino Liner

$550.00. No hardware. I had an easier time finding the latches and chains than I did a tailgate in "excellent" condition. Excellent meaning good paint and excellent body filler covered with Rhino Liner

Funny it doesn't seem that long along you couldn't give a FJ40 hard top away unless it was in excellent condition. Back in the last eighties I found a tailgate off a 71 in a wrecking yard. Thought it would be cool for my 68. Bought it for a $100 including hardware. Needed screw holes filled for snaps for a aftermarket top it had. No rust. Bought a whole FST a few years later and never used the tailgate. The FST was offered to me at a price I couldn't pass up. Less than twenty years ago found another tailgate off a very early 40. Needed some hole fill and footman loops and license plate bracket as those were bolted on in the early years. For $40 couldn't pass it up. I see a hard top sides and cap just sold for $2,000. Probably twenty years ago bought two rust free tops that included ambulance doors for $200 apiece. Prices have gone crazy. I thought prices on 40s were dropping from a few years ago but that hasn't seem to effect prices for parts. Probably easier and more profitable not restoring and just selling parts.

Back in the 80's and 90's people would pull me over while I was driving my 40, and ask if I wanted the hard top that was sitting in their back yard for free. At the time, I had no reason for another 1.

I love my FST (never cared for the hardtop look but that’s just me)—-I thought all FSTs came with a tailgate except some of the non US ones. For 69 US models at least they came with tailgate, safety loop and canvas strap and Vader light. Am not sure if they are worth more but they are rarer I think than the non FST versions.

I love my FST (never cared for the hardtop look but that’s just me)—-I thought all FSTs came with a tailgate except some of the non US ones. For 69 US models at least they came with tailgate, safety loop and canvas strap and Vader light. Am not sure if they are worth more but they are rarer I think than the non FST versions.

I have a tub from a 62 FST that has barn doors. Old factory literature from the early sixties that has pictures from here in the US with a FST with barn doors. Do not have my literature around but sure some pictures were a 61 but may have been some of a 62. What the US never got was the two piece ambulance doors that the top part was soft and removable.

I have a tub from a 62 FST that has barn doors. Old factory literature from the early sixties that has pictures from here in the US with a FST with barn doors. Do not have my literature around but sure some pictures were a 61 but may have been some of a 62. What the US never got was the two piece ambulance doors that the top part was soft and removable.

here's a pic of a 62? I took years ago

P9230029.JPG

that was back in Sept 2012, I had been by there months later and it was gone. never knew where it went, I have been by there in the last few years and haven't seen it again.

Look what "followed me home" - glad to have another chance to build the "same truck" I had purchased 23yrs ago, but was dealing with no time, no money, and someone elses FUBAR engine swap :)

IMG_3913.jpg

IMG_3912.jpg

IMG_3911.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom