Factory limited slips on BJ74 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have heard certain negative comments directed at these. I'm not sure why, LS is not a locker but
is it better than nothing? I've heard they wear out, crap out various words.
Anyone with real experience who can say they've put some miles on them and would you put
endorse them? Would you put them front and rear. I'm asking as I have a set sitting on the
floor and no money for lockers so thinking of just dropping them in for experiment.

You can make them work better. Crushers use to sand blast some of the components for a better LSD operation. The diff shop I use tightens them somehow for a better effect.
They are only designed to turn the wheels enough so they are not dragging in soft sand etc.
They do crap out if the proper LSD oil has not been used.
I guess the best thing you can say is they are better than nothing, only just.
I would get a lunch box locker if I had the energy to change diffs.
But I wouldn't be changing them to put LSDs in.
You can be a much better driver practicing with open diffs

I think that I shall go with proper lockers. It was a bit of a decision as the 60 has an ARB, but also
a front bumper Warn Compressor winch, kind of air redundant. So I'm saving for E lockers for the 60
and then swap the air lockers into the 74 so I have portable air there too. The 74 is in line for Warn 8274
as it's the best fit I think for the truck.

I guess the best thing you can say is they are better than nothing, only just.
I would get a lunch box locker if I had the energy to change diffs.
But I wouldn't be changing them to put LSDs in.
You can be a much better driver practicing with open diffs

Hello,

x2.

I thought I was the only energy-challenged one to change differentials...

Open differentials are a good way to sharpen your driving skills. If you know what you are doing, you get in and get out, LSD or not. If you do not, any traction control system will not help.

A Land Cruiser with proper tyres, open differentials and a good driver can go almost anywhere. :)

Juan

It depends a lot on your terrain. If you are not lifting a wheel, you don't really need them. Always good to have though.

I have a "rear" lsd in my front axle. It's not bad. Helps out some but I'm not super crazy about it. As soon as I'm able to lift something more than my shoes I am going to stuff my factory locker up front to match the rear.

If you get them for the right price it is an upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom