Extremely hard to turn left?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Rebuilt front axels (again) including pulling the carrier out of the diff for inspection(omg dont ask why). I did not disassemble the gears. The front diveshaft is disconnected. Center diff locked. Doing the initial test around my house and it doesnt wanna turn left. I see some powersteering fluid dripped from trying so hard. Front diff engages and disengages normally while moving. But . . . . when I was doing my (difficult) turning the front tire was skipping a little like the dif was lock but it wasnt. WTH? Why only to the left?

would not surprise me. So if its to the left does that tell me anything? i mean like . . . torqued the retainer nut to hard? would it be the left side?

would not surprise me. So if its to the left does that tell me anything? i mean like . . . torqued the retainer nut to hard? would it be the left side?

Thinking out loud - Did you disassemble your birfs? Its easy to get the cage in backwards creating binding:meh:

Jack up the front end and try to turn the tire as you turn the steering wheel. Youll figure it out bro

Thinking out loud - Did you disassemble your birfs? Its easy to get the cage in backwards creating binding:meh:

I did not disassemble the birfs this time.

Jack up the front end and try to turn the tire as you turn the steering wheel. Youll figure it out bro

I will try that but you are probably giving me too much credit. I follow the FSM like a lego instruction manual. I dont really know anything. OK here goes.

I did not disassemble the birfs this time.

I will try that but you are probably giving me too much credit. I follow the FSM like a lego instruction manual. I dont really know anything. OK here goes.
Well, start just diagnosing. You might hear clankies or grindies or see some rubbies aka witness marks that give you some clues. But if its binding that bad you cant just keep driving it around unless you want a bigger problem

If you followed the FSM then your preload on your bearings is too loose:flipoff2:

OK, I jacked up the driver side and tried to spin the tire. Would not spin. Same for the other side. That means diff is locked(?) but I confirmed (earlier) that it is unlocked. I will pull the locker and look in there

OK, I jacked up the driver side and tried to spin the tire. Would not spin. Same for the other side. That means diff is locked(?) but I confirmed (earlier) that it is unlocked. I will pull the locker and look in there

You can just pull the inspection plate where you disconnect the actuator rod from the fork. At that point you can pull the bolt and slide the fork engaging and disengaging it manually.

So the locker was not quite unlocked all the way. Im wondering if maybe I installed it not quite unlocked so when I locked and unlocked it, it just returned to it's original position. Watchu think? Ima reinstall now and see what happens.

OH! Almost forgot. When I manually unlocked it that last bit, the tire spun freely afterwards.

P.S. Am now seeing I didnt bother reading the method for actuator reinstall the first time. Looks I found my bungle. (bunghole?)

Soooo now I cant get the actuater back on. I checked the matchmarks on the pinion are straight up and down. I checked that the outermost rack tooth on the shift fork is over the center of the actuater installation hole. What I dont get is SA-41 section (F) and (G).
"Align the actuator with the long hole and rotate the actuator couter-clockwise when the knock pin reaches the right-hand side"

There are 2 bolts that are holding the actuator. Like, no spining going to be happening, bro. Also, I did not remove the inspection plate at this time since it some kind of liquid gasket and I just dont wanna mess with it right now.
DSCN1837.JPG

Welp this is officially solved. Took some finessing of the fork into the right spot but its back together locking and unlocking as it should. Woot!

Soooooooo when I removed the front dirveshaft I forgot to mark the connections. How much does it matter?

And the rear locker wont engage. Good times.

So I follow the FSM like leggos instructions, by just looking at the picture on the box :meh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom