Exterior Door Trim/Molding Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
experiencing an issue where the driver's side passenger door trim/molding (not sure exactly what this piece is called) has somehow popped out of its clips (I think).

When you open the driver's side passenger door, it catches the driver's door and prevents me from fully opening the passenger door. Really irritating, see pics.

Scratching my head wondering how to re-fasten/secure this piece, but not sure how to proceed.

thanks in advance for insights/wisdom/help/etc...

IMG_3231.JPG

IMG_3230.JPG

You could take trim off and check for damage and broken plastics.

If the trim is off you can reinstall the clip, or glue the clip back in place if broken.

If you don't want to go through the trouble of taking the trim off you could glue (elastic glue) or tape (quality double sided waterproof tape) it in place. Not the best solution offcourse, but it does work and looks good if you take your time.

I read somewhere on here that the clips aren't reusable. If you remove the moulding, you need new clips to reattach. I think 3M also makes a double-sided tape for this purpose, if you need some reinforcement.

Body Side Molding Clip - Toyota (90467-12075) | Toyota Parts

https://www.amazon.com/3M-03614-Scotch-Mount-Molding-Tape/dp/B002JOVUO0

Thanks @YvesNL and @labcab -

Looks like the parts/pieces I need. Do either of you happen to know where I can find the procedure to remove the molding pieces? Have you seen a video or write up on this that you can point me to? I'm fairly novice so can use all the help I can get. I'm great at following directions however...so hoping they are out there!

Get a set of the harbor freight trim removal tools, if you don't have some already. They come in handy working on these trucks, especially when it comes to plastic clips.

Here's a link to the procedure in the FSM, page 12:
http://dustbird.com/ih8mud/FSM/Body Mechanical.pdf

Twist the clips 90 degrees and they'll pop out

@YvesNL @labcab @DuckLN -

Ok - on the one yard line here, everything going pretty smooth thanks to the great advice above. Ran into a surprise when I took off the passenger side trim in the form of a mystery clip, see picture. Question is - what do I do? It remains in place (I haven't removed it yet), and I don't have a replacement clip. Should I just proceed and maybe add a 2 sided piece of tape on top of it when I re-install the trim panel?

One more question while I'm at it - is it safe to remove the previous double sided adhesive tape remains with goof off? I can't get it all, but would like it 100% clean prior to re-installing the trim panel.

Mystery Clip.JPG

I'd order another clip, or possibly, pop off the interior panel and try to salvage it.

For the tape, I don't think goof off will do any damage, but it does leave a residue you'll have to clean off before applying new tape. I'd try a pinstripe removal wheel on it.

@YvesNL @labcab @DuckLN -

Ok - on the one yard line here, everything going pretty smooth thanks to the great advice above. Ran into a surprise when I took off the passenger side trim in the form of a mystery clip, see picture. Question is - what do I do? It remains in place (I haven't removed it yet), and I don't have a replacement clip. Should I just proceed and maybe add a 2 sided piece of tape on top of it when I re-install the trim panel?

One more question while I'm at it - is it safe to remove the previous double sided adhesive tape remains with goof off? I can't get it all, but would like it 100% clean prior to re-installing the trim panel.

View attachment 1538516

I used mineral spirits and a stripe off wheel to get the old pieces of 2 sides tape off. Two sided tape comes in different widths and thicknesses btw. You may take your pieces by a body shop and let them add the tape.

You can get that clip off. But dont worry about damaging it because you're replacing all clips. I took pics where i could remember which clip went where.

Thanks guys -

was able to salvage the clip. I have a set of tiny flatheads (for kids electronic toys) and wedged them in there just right so the clip popped out.

Cleaning the old tape off using goof off took the entire Seahawks game but worked. Once that was removed adding tape and the new clips and popping the molding back into place was simple.

Thanks again, you guys just saved me hundreds (I assume).

Has anyone tried their luck with the china special on the replacement moulding?

So the stock moulding just sort of twist and pops of?

Look like if I can get the old moulding off without destroying something these might work. My current setup is pretty beat up it'd be nice to freshen it up

Screenshot_20230127-204012.png
Screenshot_20230127-203958.png

Has anyone tried their luck with the china special on the replacement moulding?

So the stock moulding just sort of twist and pops of?

Look like if I can get the old moulding off without destroying something these might work. My current setup is pretty beat up it'd be nice to freshen it up

View attachment 3231467View attachment 3231468
did you pull the trigger on this? Where did you order the clips you need?

Casey Denver

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom