Extended shackles need new struts, which height are people using? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just picked up 6" rear shackles and 5.5" front shackles for my 1971 Fj40. Judging by what I've read in other posts people have used the same shackles with 2-4" extended struts. I'm going to order the 5100 Bilstein's but need advice whether to order the 0-2" or the 4" struts..... Once these are ordered I'll mount up the 33x10.5x15 BFG AT's. Any advice (besides the "why no SOA?" kind of advice) will be helpful. Pics? If they relate to this post then please share em!

I answered in the other thread you posted in, but I'll answer here as well since you added a little more info.

The bottom line is, you need to measure your suspension travel to get the proper sized shock. There are just too many variables with all the different suspension options for anyone to give you more than a best guess. The best way to measure is by raising opposite corners (i.e. left front and right rear) hopefully into the bump stops. Measure that distance and it will give you the compressed length. Next, measure droop on both front and rear. That will be your extended length. You don't want to bottom out the shock or use it as a suspension limiter, so buy a shock with a little more compressed length and a little more extended length than what you measured.

On a side note, you are putting on fairly long shackles. Is this on stock suspension or lift springs? Do you realize the longer shackles will affect your castor? You may also get driveline vibrations in the rear. It would be a good idea to check your castor after installing the shackles, then you can order the proper shims.

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom