Exhaust options for the 86 4runner

Not wanting to go with a header and sticking with OE manifold, what is the move to refresh everything? I don't want a loud exhaust. I think mine is going to give up the ghost soon and I want to replace everything back from the manifold at once. I do have to remove 2 sheered off heat shield bolts from the manifold... they sheered perfectly flush too... so I will either have to tack a bolt on to try and back the sheered ones out or drill and tap. Any conglomeration of off the rack components out there work well?

Mahalo!

Last edited:

BlueCruiser84

SILVER Star
I bought a cat back exhaust from parts geek for a whole $100 shipped. Nice and quiet. It was definitely not a "bolt on" affair. I had to cut and weld, but it was still cheaper than having a shop build me something.

I bought a cat back exhaust from parts geek for a whole $100 shipped. Nice and quiet. It was definitely not a "bolt on" affair. I had to cut and weld, but it was still cheaper than having a shop build me something.
Something like this

Maybe a new high-flow cat and that..... clean up the manifold and downpipe?

BlueCruiser84

SILVER Star
Something like this

Maybe a new high-flow cat and that..... clean up the manifold and downpipe?

Yup. I’m not sure that you HAVE to cut and weld. I wasn’t happy with how it exited in the rear. I can’t remember exactly what I didn’t like though. It’s been a couple years.

Yup. I’m not sure that you HAVE to cut and weld. I wasn’t happy with how it exited in the rear. I can’t remember exactly what I didn’t like though. It’s been a couple years.
What is the move with the stock manifold? Is there a high-temp coating that is preferred to clean it up and make it look nice?

pappy

photosynthesizing
What is the move with the stock manifold? Is there a high-temp coating that is preferred to clean it up and make it look nice?
Ceramic coat it. Here is a picture of my 3RZ manifold and heat shield. You might consider taking the manifold to a machine shop and make sure it's flat.

Manifold and shield-sm.jpg

BlueCruiser84

SILVER Star

Couldn’t tell you. I figure if the exhaust manifold lasted 31 years unpainted from the factory, I’m not going to fool with it. I’m not a “clean every part you remove and paint it” kind of guy. I wish I was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom