Builds Evolution of a Land Cruiser: My 80's build thread (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oh snap! That isn't enough lead time for J to do his hair beforehand! :flipoff2:

So I take it since you were able to post vids and pictures that your axe mount, like mine, hasn't let loose and killed you yet!

Still alive and no decapitated heads yet!

I will see what my schedule looks like. Im already taking the 19-24 off in sept for pismo and from pismo to california city to check out a plot of land.

Wish I had weekends off. I have sunday mondays off

I'm camping with my son's at their school...

Next time fellas!

So just the Con then? I think I can swing that, should have my front end wrapped up by then.

-A

There's a big group of guys doing Fordyce the weekend of 9/20. I'll keep you guys posted as I learn more details about that one. For now Rubicon will be a smaller group.

Wow! It's been said time and time again but soooo much inspiration. Such a great example of a well modded 80. You U.S guys do things differently and I really like it! I would love to drive some of these trails they look awesome and such scenic campgrounds. Very very jealous.
Keep up the good work mate, Subscribed.

Thank you sir! Actually, I think it's mostly me that does things differently. My truck is loud an obnoxious compared to most other 80s around here :)

As above ! ..great build up and awesome trail pics Jcardona . Love it

Thanks!

I'm in for saturday. prob head up friday and start playing and then hang out for fun on saturday and head home at end of the day.. head home to make it to church on sunday! :)

You go in at Loon Lake right? How far up have you gone and where are the exits on this trail?

Tomorrow for cantina on the con fundraiser!? Just go in and play a little for the day and have tacos and brews before heading down the hill?

Man what's with the 12hr notices! I'm a busy man, weekends are booked in advance. You need to let me know so I could pencil you in :flipoff2: I'd like to go but we'll be gone tomorrow. I think I'm free Sunday/Monday. Not sure yet. Was thinking of a day run to Slick Rock, but if I can't find anybody I may just work on fender cutting.

Still alive and no decapitated heads yet!

Next time fellas!

There's a big group of guys doing Fordyce the weekend of 9/20. I'll keep you guys posted as I learn more details about that one. For now Rubicon will be a smaller group.

Thank you sir! Actually, I think it's mostly me that does things differently. My truck is loud an obnoxious compared to most other 80s around here :)

Thanks!

You go in at Loon Lake right? How far up have you gone and where are the exits on this trail?

Man what's with the 12hr notices! I'm a busy man, weekends are booked in advance. You need to let me know so I could pencil you in :flipoff2: I'd like to go but we'll be gone tomorrow. I think I'm free Sunday/Monday. Not sure yet. Was thinking of a day run to Slick Rock, but if I can't find anybody I may just work on fender cutting.

I'm down to run a day this weekend, my rear axle should be good to go and I'll just pump more grease into the front and run it. Waiting on seals, should have it rebuilt before Con.

-A

When you guys do the con what way do you normally go? Do you go through Truckee and cut down 88 to Tahoe City then to the start or do you do it from the HWY50/South Lake Tahoe side? I won't be able to do it as we are headed out to Steamboat Springs, Co on that Monday but would be interested in meeting you guys somewhere prior to you hitting the con... Quick group meetup?

loon lake start through to tahoma.

HEAVY DUTY REAR CONTROL ARMS

Before I run another fairly difficult trail I wanted to make sure my rear control arms were taken care of. They were beat to hell and one was bent pretty bad. I had an extra arm sitting around that I've been meaning to swap out. But it would have only been a matter of time before it got destroyed again.

So I decided to sleeve them with 1.75 x 0.1875 DOM tubing. This gives it an ID of 1.375" which works perfect as a sleeve for the OEM arms which are about 1.34" OD. Got a few quotes from local shops and they would only sell full 22' sticks. Too much. Checked a few places online and it would cost me about $90 shipped for a 5' stick. Ridiculous. Then somebody gave me a link for DOM tubing on Amazon. $52 shipped, of all places. Sold! Showed up in 2 days with my Prime account.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H9LVAM/?tag=ihco-20

Cut the OEM links in half. I cut the DOM tubing so overall length was extended about 1/2" to compensate for the lift. Drilled a few holes for some rosette welds.

Oh yeah, my little Horror Fright welding table is pretty darn nice for the money.

15170665261_f9c0c766e0_h.jpg

All welded up. You can see how badly bent one of my arms was.

15173294622_d5761be5b6_b.jpg

Painted them silver because it's prettier than black :flipoff2:

14987092658_cbdae31fa1_h.jpg

Need to figure out a solution for the brackets as they've seen better days too.

15170660361_6a80af6f73_h.jpg

I also remembered I had some shock protectors sitting around for over a year now. I can't even remember which member I bought them from. Were about $25 I think. Nice little solution to keep your lower shock mounts from getting destroyed in the rocks.

14986939529_c053924b4a_h.jpg

14987091858_42f436d089_h.jpg

15173291952_d439af7214_h.jpg

Nice job! I've seen that HF table on sale before and almost bit, the Northern Tool one is identical and 2x the price.

Nice work! I need to get me a welder!!
I'm jealous of all the bad ass things your able fabricate!

Nice job! I've seen that HF table on sale before and almost bit, the Northern Tool one is identical and 2x the price.

Thanks! And yeah it's surprisingly a nice table for being HF. Usually their stuff is a crapshoot. I bought it when it was on sale.

Nice work! I need to get me a welder!!
I'm jealous of all the bad ass things your able fabricate!

Thanks man! Get yourself a little Hobart 140. Probably the best welder you can get at that price point and it can tackle pretty much anything you'll ever need to do on this truck.

Thanks! And yeah it's surprisingly a nice table for being HF. Usually their stuff is a crapshoot. I bought it when it was on sale.

Thanks man! Get yourself a little Hobart 140. Probably the best welder you can get at that price point and it can tackle pretty much anything you'll ever need to do on this truck.

Second on the Hobart 140 I have one and it's a nice little machine.

How did you keep the rubber from getting too hot?

I wrapped them in a wet towel and sprayed them with water every few seconds. I could have still messed them up, we'll see. They're original so they may be due for a replacement anyways.

That's my next upgrade , maybe add a JJ on one of the ends , maybe , great job Jose ...

Oh dang, gotta copy those shock mount things, that pure genius! You should sell those!!

That's my next upgrade , maybe add a JJ on one of the ends , maybe , great job Jose ...

Thanks! I did think about building all new links with custom ends but not sure I need it right now. With a fair amount of trimming, the rear end flexes as much as the fenders allow it. Don't think I'd benefit by better articulation in the rear since at this point the body is the limiting factor.

jBdAaxQ.jpg

I like the build man! Nice work, lots of cool ideas!

Thanks man! When are we gonna see that beast of yours finished?!

Oh dang, gotta copy those shock mount things, that pure genius! You should sell those!!

I didn't make these, somebody else on the forum did. Bought them over a year ago before I had a welder. Would be easy to make though. I think MAF sold these for a while too. Word is they stole the idea from the random guy that came up with these.

How do u like ur steering set up I'm wanting to redo the links up front and the tie rod is in the way just wondering if it's worth it and what arms r u running ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom