1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Essential winching accessories?

Discussion in 'Winching and Recovery' started by dfinn, Jul 11, 2017.

1. dfinn

dfinn

Just finished up installing bumper + winch on my 100 series last week. I know the winch isn't going to be super useful without some accessories to go with it but I'm not entirely sure what I need. I know the list could get long so I'm looking at just the essentials for now and will pick up other things down the road as budget allows.

I just ordered 2 Crosby 3/4" shackles.

I'm thinking I probably should also pick up a tree strap, a snatch block and maybe either/both a recovery strap and a snatch strap?

The budget is slim after just doing the bumper/winch and I'm wondering where, if anywhere, is it OK to skimp on some of these vs buying top notch stuff. Is the less expensive smittybilt OK in some situations where the more expensive ARB (or whatever other brand) is really suggested in others?

Also, I see that the tree straps come in different sizes/lengths. What's usually recommended there?

Specific make/model would be awesome if you don't mind sharing what you've had good luck with or know to be trust worthy.

2. LandCruiserPhil

LandCruiserPhil Peter Pan Syndrome Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Hard to go wrong with WARN or ARB. I purchased the WARN winch kit 20 years ago and never regretted it.

3. dfinn

dfinn

4. LandCruiserPhil

LandCruiserPhil Peter Pan Syndrome Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    The ARB kit (more money) comes with a Kinetic strap something to consider and should have as a part of any recovery set up. Something to think about, 90% of recoveries do not require a winch and many times a winch can be useless in a limited traction situation were only a Kinetic strap or rope will do.

dfinn likes this.
  5. jdayment

jdayment SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Sounds like you are somewhat new to off roading might be a good idea to link up with a local club and get some training or look at an organization like I4WDTA® and see what classes are offered in your area.

Josie'sLandCruiser likes this.
  6. dfinn

dfinn

That is very true. I really don't know what I'm doing. Hoping to make it to some of the local meetups this summer but until then I'd still like to be prepared.

jdayment likes this.
  7. Josie'sLandCruiser

Josie'sLandCruiser Stop calling it a "FJ."

Media:
    Albums:
    You should buy in addition to the "D" ring shackles a long tree saver strap and a snatch block.

The recovery strap will be used infrequently if you have a recovery winch.

Getting instruction on the proper way to rig up winch lines, and how to operate the winch safely is a must. A local Land Cruiser or 4x4 club is an option; also, there are some great training videos done by Bill Burke of 4Wheeling America.

-Alan

lovetoski likes this.
  8. Mudder

Mudder

9. ferg

ferg

Recovery strap vs winch use - I've used a strap waaaay more than the winch. Straps are best when you're out with friends (wheeling alone is not the best idea) as they are much faster and easier to employ. Winches are best when you've really screwed the pooch and gotten in over your head , friends present or not.

It's better when your friends are the ones in need of aid too!

1911 likes this.