Engine Temperature sending unit/gauge (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need some help. I have searched and found some help, but I think it has made me more confused.

I havent driven the 40 in a few months, basically all winter, and I had to start driving it again last week because I loaned my friend my DD for a few days. Before I pulled it out of the carport I checked all fluids, etc and everything was good to go. I drove it to work, not paying any attention to my gauges (my speedo is currently broken so didnt have to look at that haha). I drove it Thursday and friday last week, then again today. Today on my way to work I noticed that 1) according to my gauge the 40 heated up quicker than usual and 2) it kept climbing above normal temperature. I proceed to freak out a bit but baby it to work (its about a 4 mile drive, so not bad). The needle only ever reached the 3rd mark and a tiny bit above, but it is usually closer to the 2nd, so it had me worried. I pulled up at work expecting to see coolant coming from the overflow, or SOMETHING, but no fluids leaking at all. While at work I searched here and gained some knowledge on the subject. I cut off the plastic end of the wire going to the sensor and just wrapped it around the end of the sensor (something I have done in a pinch on my old 60), but I had to extend the wire a little bit and used some wire that was a heavier gauge than the wire already in use, not sure if that would have an affect? I proceeded to drive home and the gauge failed to move at all this time, staying below the cold mark. I found this thread: Water Temperature Sending Unit
the 4th post I believe, by grant5127, tells how to test both the gauge and the sensor. I tried testing both, but am a little confused on the results.

1) Testing the sensor when the engine had just driven the 4 miles home and was warmed up I got nothing on my voltmeter when set to ohms and one probe on the tip of the sensor and another on the block, seems i should have seen something between 50 to 90 ohms. once in awhile I would get some random ohm reading that seemed way out of spec, it was measuring K ohms. This tells me the sensor is bad, but did i do this right?

2) When I test the gauge as described it doesnt peg out to HOT. My gauge, when the car is off and key out, points past HOT, when I turn the key to on position or start the car it goes down to COLD. My test was unhooking the lead going to the sensor and grounding it to the battery, which is basically what I thought I was supposed to do, but when I do this it pegs to COLD, not HOT, when I have the gauge not connected to ground or the sensor it pegs to HOT. where his directions for a 72+ model?

I might have a spare sensor on my extra head, definitely have one on my parts 60, but that one is different I think. Gonna go see what I can round up here.

thanks for any help!

ok, so I did have a spare sensor on my extra head. I swapped it out, started it to get coolant flowing and took a reading. I got about 40 ohms, I would guess the engine was around 90F at the time, radiator and valve cover were still warm to the touch and it had been about an hour since I had gotten home. So this reading seems within spec. But, the gauge doesn't react to this one at all, just stays pegged past HOT like it does when the key is off. Now I am just not sure, it cant be my gauge if it reacts to grounding can it? I also spliced in some similar sized wire and redid the end that connects to the sensor to rule those out. The gauge cluster doesn't need to be screwed to the dash for it to work does it? I pulled it off to check that area, all my other gauges work fine when not attached.
Confused!

What you have there is a 2nd generation cluster. Your TEMP gauge will show H when engine is off.
When you turn the ign key to "on" the gauge will go to C if the sender is working as is it should be.
If the sender is disconnected (or not connected because of faulty wiring/bad contact) the gauge stay at C. Sorry, typo, must be H.
The sender is a PTC type and very difficult to test, that's why there is no test procedure in the FSM.
Testing the gauge; You'll need the help of a buddy/wife/partner, unless you have bionic arms.
Turn key to the "on" position and touch the sender wire to ground. The needle should move to the C position.
Disconnect the wire as soon as the needle is moving or you will burn up the gauge.
If this works.... buy a new sender #83420-20010
BTW..... any other sender does not work!

gauges-and-senders-jpg.825486

Rudi

Last edited:
What you have there is a 2nd generation cluster. Your TEMP gauge will show H when engine is off.
When you turn the ign key to "on" the gauge will go to C if the sender is working as is it should be.
If the sender is disconnected (or not connected because of faulty wiring/bad contact) the gauge stay at C.
The sender is a PTC type and very difficult to test, that's why there is no test procedure in the FSM.
Testing the gauge; You'll need the help of a buddy/wife/partner, unless you have bionic arms.
Turn key to the "on" position and touch the sender wire to ground. The needle should move to the C position.
Disconnect the wire as soon as the needle is moving or you will burn up the gauge.
If this works.... buy a new sender #83420-20010
BTW..... any other sender does not work!

gauges-and-senders-jpg.825486

Rudi
This is where I am confused: You said if the sender is disconnected, then the gauge should stay at C. My gauge stays at H always, unless I ground that wire. Did you mean it will stay at H if disconnected? (Basically like having the key off?).

Hopefully i didnt burn my gauge up already trying to test on my own yesterday. I will have my wife help me check this morning.

Btw, thanks a lot for all that information in that other thread on the gauges, definitely a good read last night and broadened my knowledge of the 40 series in a useful and interesting way!

From what I have gathered I am pretty sure my sender, and spare sender, are both bad, unless my parts sender is good and my gauge is now toast. Anyway, going to retesting my gauge and start shopping for a part or 2.

Confirmed my gauge still moves to C when grounding is applied and key on, so looks like thats ok, now to order the sender. Thanks everyone!

If the needle is beyond the H at rest, the guage has already been shorted at least once.

I stock early gauges for sale.

www.marksoffroad.net

If the needle is beyond the H at rest, the guage has already been shorted at least once.

www.marksoffroad.net
Damn, well i suppose i will be checking out your shop as well. When the 40 is off, key out and the wire to the sender unplugged the temp needle buries itself past the hot, so i guess i screwed it up. But it does react to battery grounding. Could i have fried it and my spare sensor be ok, but its just not registering in the guage because i fried it? I did go ahead an order an aftermarket temp gauge, but i like my original ones also. Its just nice to have a backup to these old units. I just want to avoid buying a $40 sensor, plus a gauge (which i havent priced) if only 1 needs replaced. Guess i need to start somewhere....

This is where I am confused: You said if the sender is disconnected, then the gauge should stay at C. My gauge stays at H always, unless I ground that wire. Did you mean it will stay at H if disconnected? (Basically like having the key off?).

Sorry, my bad. That's a typo. It must read ..... stays at H. (Corrected in previous posting).

Looks like your gauge is good.

Rudi

This is where the needle rests on a 'normal' early guage.

If real-world info is what you're after, aftermarket is the way to go. IMG_1067.JPG

www.marksoffroad.net

Guess my gauge is toast.
14956666868141301079606.jpg

Does this mean the reading is offset where actual C is around the middle of the gauge where it rests with key on engine off and actual H is where it is when off? Or is the reading completely off?

Nothing wrong with that gauge. It shows H when the key is off.
Touch the TEMP sender wire to ground and turn the key to "on".
If the needle starts moving, the gauge is OK.
Don't do this to long or you'll burn up your gauge.

Rudi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom