Engine miss till warm, sounds also comes through the radio (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've looked and I can't find anything on this problem or maybe I searched the wrong words. So when I start my 1998 up, it tends to miss a little and when it does you can hear a cracking sounds in the radio. Also, it's not a constant miss, it kind of chucks. I'm sorry, don't really know how to describe it. When it warms up it goes away. It does it less when it's warm outside. I can take a video of it if that will help. Thanks for any help or ideas of what's causing this.

My guess is a coil pack on the way out.

Had the same issue, just replaced all the coils and spark plugs. Now the 100 runs smooth and strong!
Also what I found was that my fuel filter would restrict fuel flow at tempatures below freezing, it had a oily varnish blockage that would stop fuel flow.

Had the same issue, just replaced all the coils and spark plugs. Now the 100 runs smooth and strong!
Also what I found was that my fuel filter would restrict fuel flow at tempatures below freezing, it had a oily varnish blockage that would stop fuel flow.
I just put a new fuel filter on maybe 2 months ago. Where did you buy your ignition coils? Looks like the Denzo coils are around $55 each, did you use a different brand? Costs? Links? I've got a feeling this is what it may be. When it started doing it and I could hear it in the speakers, I'm thinking it could also be a ground issue also. I think I will start with the cheapest fix which is tracing down the grounds and see if I have a loose or broken ground. I can also hear a buzz in a recent installed head unit I put in. The missing has been going on since I bought it back in November.

Thanks again for the help

I just put a new fuel filter on maybe 2 months ago. Where did you buy your ignition coils? Looks like the Denzo coils are around $55 each, did you use a different brand? Costs? Links? I've got a feeling this is what it may be. When it started doing it and I could hear it in the speakers, I'm thinking it could also be a ground issue also. I think I will start with the cheapest fix which is tracing down the grounds and see if I have a loose or broken ground. I can also hear a buzz in a recent installed head unit I put in. The missing has been going on since I bought it back in November.

Thanks again for the help

Did you install the head unit yourself? There's lots of good info on this site regarding that issue.

Did you install the head unit yourself? There's lots of good info on this site regarding that issue.
A friend of mine did

A friend of mine did

You have to use the low voltage, amp preouts for your speaker signals. If he wired the regular speaker outputs to the amp, it will cause that buzzing noise in the speakers. You may have two separate issues here.

I wanted to update this thread. So the miss had gotten worse over the last few days and a couple days ago it was missing all the time and the cracking sound in the radio was constant. The check engine light even came on for a couple minutes and then went off but it was missing pretty bad. Turns out the ignition coil went bad on the #6 cylinder, put a new on in and it runs like a new one again and the sound in the radio is gone also.

I wanted to update this thread. So the miss had gotten worse over the last few days and a couple days ago it was missing all the time and the cracking sound in the radio was constant. The check engine light even came on for a couple minutes and then went off but it was missing pretty bad. Turns out the ignition coil went bad on the #6 cylinder, put a new on in and it runs like a new one again and the sound in the radio is gone also.

Yep. I just saw this thread, I would've told you from the get go, rough idle with radio crackle is always a bad plug wire/coil sending out RFI, the crackle is the radio picking up the spark.

Running fine but a whining/whiring in the radio that speeds up with engine speed is a alternator sending out RFI, either from a bad ground or a bad voltage regulator.

But most of all, thank you for reporting back what the fix was and closing out the thread. Now when someone else searches for this they will have an answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom