Engine crank starter handle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
At one point I saw a thread with a picture showing the starter handle the same as the FJ55 jack handle? However I'm not sure if it was definitive that it would work.

I can't find that for the life of me. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what I can use for starter handle for my FJ25 if I don't have the original?

The Starting Handle is also known as the Spare Wheel Carrier Handle as it is used to lower the spare tire on FJ45/55. The hooked end of the FJ45/55 jack rod can be used to lower the spare tire as well. But the jack rod doesn't work as a handle to start the engine, if that is what you are asking.

There are 2 versions of the starting handle, identical except for the length. Online parts catalog says:

Handle, Starting or Spare Wheel Carrier
  • 51409-66010 Length=850mm
  • 51481-65010 Length=1005mm
From the thread I want to talk about this HAND CRANK!
10 IDave.jpg

(iDave)

A couple of Mud threads discuss and illustrate the dimensions, so you could fabricate a starting handle yourself, or have one made. Other vehicles have starting handles that can be modified to Toyota specs.
60 love2fly-a.jpg

(love2fly)

@HoffLarr's thread Engine Crank Handle Tool describes a similar handle that came with 90s Mazda B-series trucks. The thread includes photos with dimensions and discusses how the Mazda handle differs from the Toyota handle. While the Mazda handle may function to start the engine, or turn the engine over, it will not fit the original Toyota starting handle clips.

90 HoffLarr a.jpg

(Hofflarr)

@Weber Sarge is working to develop a repro starting handle, details in his Midwest Performance Parts thread.

Reproduction and used starting handles show up on eBay occasionally. Some used handles that are represented as OEM do not appear to be. Issues include: the grip is too short, the bend is the wrong length or the pin is oriented incorrectly.

A repro starting handle from several months ago.
170 LCP b1.jpg

(LandCruiserParts)

Represented as OEM.
!!!Starting Handle-001.jpg

Wow. That is amazing detail @wscbill ! Thank you so much for putting this together in one thread. I'm going to have one made to spec.

The Starting Handle is also known as the Spare Wheel Carrier Handle as it is used to lower the spare tire on FJ45/55. The hooked end of the FJ45/55 jack rod can be used to lower the spare tire as well. But the jack rod doesn't work as a handle to start the engine, if that is what you are asking.

There are 2 versions of the starting handle, identical except for the length. Online parts catalog says:

Handle, Starting or Spare Wheel Carrier
  • 51409-66010 Length=850mm
  • 51481-65010 Length=1005mm
From the thread I want to talk about this HAND CRANK!
View attachment 1332170
(iDave)

A couple of Mud threads discuss and illustrate the dimensions, so you could fabricate a starting handle yourself, or have one made. Other vehicles have starting handles that can be modified to Toyota specs.
View attachment 1332171
(love2fly)

@HoffLarr's thread Engine Crank Handle Tool describes a similar handle that came with 90s Mazda B-series trucks. The thread includes photos with dimensions and discusses how the Mazda handle differs from the Toyota handle. While the Mazda handle may function to start the engine, or turn the engine over, it will not fit the original Toyota starting handle clips.

View attachment 1332175
(Hofflarr)

@Weber Sarge is working to develop a repro starting handle, details in his Midwest Performance Parts thread.

Reproduction and used starting handles show up on eBay occasionally. Some used handles that are represented as OEM do not appear to be. Issues include: the grip is too short, the bend is the wrong length or the pin is oriented incorrectly.

A repro starting handle from several months ago.
View attachment 1332182
(LandCruiserParts)

Represented as OEM.
View attachment 1332184

Bill You are amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom