1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

electronic ignition options

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by rob5182, Mar 4, 2007.

1. rob5182

rob5182 SILVER Star

Hi all,

I have a 1976 FJ40 2F with the stock distribrutor and ignition system. The ignitor recently just went out and I need some options to get back on the road. Is there a pentronic system or other system that will work with my distributor? Should I buy a used ignitor~$300 or what is my best option for around $150.

THANKS
    ROBERT

2. Josie'sLandCruiser

Josie'sLandCruiser Stop calling it a "FJ."

Media:
    Albums:
    Hi All:

Try to find a good, used Toyota fully electronic ignition (coil, distributor, etc.) from a 1978 & up Land Cruiser 40 or 55 Series. The ones that came on the later 60 Series wagons will also fit but the distributor is a bit larger in diameter.

Good luck with your rig!

Regards,

Alan

3. Trollhole

Trollhole THC Supporting Vendor Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Small cap electronic distributor. Easy to install. Just did this. Works great.

4. rjcruiser

rjcruiser

I'm not sure if pertronix will work with your year or not, but if it does, it is the best, cheapest option. I've used it several times and never been disappointed. Give Mark's offroad a call....he carries them and would be able to give you the details on what will work best.

5. SteveO

SteveO

I just installed a Pertronix kit from Mark's Offroad in my 77 and it works great. Installs very easily as well. ...Steve