Electrical advice needed for AUX lighting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The Auxbeam would fit your circumstances the best. It does have a relay per switch, they're just solid state relays set in epoxy which are much more relaible. It's like the difference between mechanical hard drives and solid state hard drives. It will also be the easiest way to add on additional lights or other accessories
I do like the idea of these setups, but at this point I am just running 2 sets of lights. As I continue to go off the deep end I'm sure the build will evolve to a cleaner setup.

I've switched to these lately, much nicer, less crimping. Delcity is the cheapest place to order them.

View attachment 3000346
mmm nice. I did already purchase a 8AWG with a 60AMP maxi fuse in line so I suppose I am stuck with crimping for now.

I've switched to these lately, much nicer, less crimping. Delcity is the cheapest place to order them.

View attachment 3000346
I use this type of fuse as well- right off the battery terminal. I’m not near the truck for a few days/ but I’ll post a pic of my blue sea fuse panel set up.

Fuse panel is vertically mounted to a Kydex backing plate which is mounted to some spare holes in the driver side fender.

I want to take advantage of all the space I have where most people put the second battery. I'm going to try and find someone local to bend up a piece of metal that can take advantage of some existing threaded holes .

( Ignore wire rat nest, still a work in progress )

1651764334412.png

1651764393661.png

If you run to driver side/ your length of 8awg is much shorter.

1651766266755.jpeg

1651766394460.jpeg

OP should have a charcoal canister right there since his 100 is a 2002.
Good point- 😉 guess that explains the available mounting holes on my DS.

Good point- 😉 guess that explains the available mounting holes on my DS.
I was wondering why you had all that space there...yeah my DS is a bit cluttered and since I'm not pulling many amps the longer 8AWG run should be OK. Also those darn wire light harness are so bulky so it will be nice to just tuck it all into the PS.

I just sent over some measurements to get a piece bent up for those available threaded M6 holes I have on my PS. I'll be bale to mount the fuse panel and some misc wiring / relays

Last edited:
Anyone have a lead on where to get a switch that would fit the rectangular blanks next to our steering wheel?

I also am thinking it would be nice to be able to reach this switch from the rear so when midnight bathroom breaks at camp happen I could flip the switch. There isn't really a good location for this without ghetto rigging it somewhere....which I may just do.

Fits like a glove. Custom switch shipped quick.

1652121472604.png

1652121574038.png

Or you can use a Toyota FJ light switch.

View attachment 3004502

View attachment 3004504

View attachment 3004502

View attachment 3004504

Sweet ,thanks for sharing. For those looking for other options the company at the link below was recommended by slee and they sent me these options and said they will also fit our blanks
>>AIR ON BOARD (AOB) - Toyota Push Switches - Switches - Products - https://www.aironboard.com/online/products/switches/toyota-push-switches.html?toyota_model=405

Im going to end up putting the switch for these roof lights in the blank above the cupholder in the middle row. I can reach out from the driver seat and since we have the back concerted to sleep in, it will be nice to reach down and flip the switch at camp when needed .

Riddle me this, at what point to people decide / is it necessary to add second battery? Is it more of a function of having power available when the vehicle is turned off or is there certain amp draw while running that may require some extra battery capacity ?

Alright shes all dialed in for now. Spotlights on the front bumper and ditch lights are destined for the incoming roof rack .

I had someone bend me up this piece of metal , there are existing threads holes on the 02LC on the passenger side. Fit nice , plenty of room to stash wire harness below and room for future expansion.

Ignore the zip ties , still need to finalize .

KIMG0434.JPG

Sweet ,thanks for sharing. For those looking for other options the company at the link below was recommended by slee and they sent me these options and said they will also fit our blanks
>>AIR ON BOARD (AOB) - Toyota Push Switches - Switches - Products - https://www.aironboard.com/online/products/switches/toyota-push-switches.html?toyota_model=405

Im going to end up putting the switch for these roof lights in the blank above the cupholder in the middle row. I can reach out from the driver seat and since we have the back concerted to sleep in, it will be nice to reach down and flip the switch at camp when needed .

Riddle me this, at what point to people decide / is it necessary to add second battery? Is it more of a function of having power available when the vehicle is turned off or is there certain amp draw while running that may require some extra battery capacity ?
You can skip the dual battery and related wiring and run a single deep cell AGM. If you want to spend a few $$ more - run a 90aH 27 series AGM: this about double aH of the stock battery- works as a starting battery and deep cell (won’t kill the cells if you run it low from time to time). Carry a jump pack as back up.

Preface that having an alternator booster will help charge this beast- (HKB Electonics)

Last edited:
You can skip the dual battery and related wiring and run a single deep cell AGM. If you want to spend a few $$ more - run a 90aH 27 series AGM: this about double aH of the stock battery- works as a starting battery and deep cell (won’t kill the cells if you run it low from time to time). Carry a jump pack as back up.

Preface that having an alternator booster will help charge this beast- (HKB Electonics)
Woohoo , I think that's what I'm working with . It's 5 year old and has never missed a beat.
>> What are you referring to when you say alternator booster ?

Just let the KC lights run for 20 minutes with truck off , it dropped to about 12.3 and then just stayed there for a while . More than enough time to accomplish midnight piss breaks at camp
KIMG0436.JPG

Alternator Booster = Voltage Booster = Diode in the ALT-S (alternator voltage sensing) line. There are a few discussions about that here in the 100 series section. I built my own with a fuse, others simply remove the ALT-S fuse and install a $5 1amp GM AC diode in it's place. Its a wise thing to do if you have an AGM.

DIY
IMG_20200124_133426.jpg

GM Diode

I installed a dual battery setup when I installed a fridge that runs all the time. Redundancy is a beautiful thing when you are in the middle of nowhere. You can find more details about my DIY/Hillbilly approach to the dual battery in my linked in my sig line.

Last edited:
For a large AGM you need constant 14v or greater to charge the battery or you should float charge the battery monthly.

HKB is an electronics privateer In Australia that makes the ALT-S fused diode- increases alternator output by roughly 0.6v ( it’s got a built in resettable fuse- it’s about $50. However they are temporarily closed thru August so DIY is the only option until then.

Roger that , thanks for the info . Dual battery setup at this point is not happening since I just took up all the space. I do plug my battery into a noco tender every week or so , and every night in the winter . It's held up fine over the years so I'll just ride out for now.

Last edited:
Im trying to understand if I need to install a diode as depicted in the wire diagram for the switch .

Upon opening up the ARB switch I currently have installed, I see there is indeed a diode built into the switch.

Is this just to prevent power from surging back to the switch and burning It up ? Do I really need this , I don't know how to install diodes . Any advice is appreciated

I currently have it installed and all is working without the diode

KIMG0449.JPG

Last edited:
Im trying to understand if I need to install a diode as depicted in the wire diagram for the switch .

Upon opening up the ARB switch I currently have installed, I see there is indeed a diode built into the switch.

Is this just to prevent power from surging back to the switch and burning It up ? Do I really need this , I don't know how to install diodes . Any advice is appreciated

I currently have it installed and all is working without the diode

View attachment 3011257
It is hard to answer without knowing exactly how your wiring is setup. The diode in that diagram is for a vehicle with a negative switched headlight (I believe the 100 is) trigger for the relay. In this case, the diode will prevent a path back to ground.

I believe you are manually switching the lights directly from the Blue Seas fuse box on the positive side and not trying to trigger the lights or prevent the light from coming on without the headlights. In that case, Relay pin 86 should go to your switch and Relay pin 85 should go to ground, which is the standard relay configuration. It sounds like you might have wired it like that since everything works and is now blowing fuses.

I use the standard positive switched relay configuration. It makes troubleshooting easier since most folks assume relays are positively switched.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom