EFI Relay Wiring UPGRADE HeLp (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I´ve been having some starting problems along with some hesitation issues too. The starting problem ended up being the connectors on the EFI relay, I am trying to upgrade the wiring and I want to use the stock relay, I took the relay (fuse) box off and pulled out the yellow lock that is on top where the relay connects so I could pull out the connectors from the bottom but they will not come out and I don´t want to brake them.

Do any of you guys know how to take these connectors apart, I´ve searched here but no luck.

Thank you all for your help and knowledge, I have a FSM on the way so that is going to be a great help.

IMAG1538.jpg

These are the connectors I am trying to pull out through the bottom but they will not budge and I don´t want to break anything. If anyone can shine a light on how to get these out.

Thanks.

Follow each wire back and cut and replace where convenient to splice. You will probably find some areas that are hard old and thin and need replacing anyway.

I was thinking of that but I would really like to go up to the connector, I am sure there must be a way to pull those out.

Question for you, what cables should I upgrade for 10 gauge?, just the two 12 gauge and the one that goes to the fuse.

Thank you so much for your input, if I don´t find a way I will just do as you say and splice them up.

You need to make a connector removal tool to unlock the connector from its housing. It is described in the factory wiring diagram. It is basically a thin blade that fits in the back side of the connector.

Thanks, unfortunately I don´t have the diagram but I will be getting an FSM soon so I guess I´ll have to wait and buy a wiring diagram too.

Once again thank you.

Last edited:
I see what you mean, I think I can make one, I´ll give it another go tomorrow. I don´t know if you can help with this, should I just replace the 12 gauge for 10 gauge, what about the other two cables, should I go to a larger caliber wire too?

Thanks again for taking the time.

I see what you mean, I think I can make one, I´ll give it another go tomorrow. I don´t know if you can help with this, should I just replace the 12 gauge for 10 gauge, what about the other two cables, should I go to a larger caliber wire too?

Thanks again for taking the time.

Yes, go the next size bigger and use different colors. Make sure you label with diagram the wires where they end up in the cab for future EFI relay removal and install.

I would skip replacing the wire unless you can replace the entire wire. The stock wire is large enough. If you are having trouble with the relay overheating, then replace the fuel pump or what ever is sinking too much power.

I just replaced the pump about a week ago, the engine never gave up due to the relay, what I did find was the connectors were loose and if you bumped it would stutter and die. I have adjusted them and it solved that but the relay is a little hot to my liking.

What else could draw that much power other than the fuel pump?

Last edited:
I agree with Ping Head about skipping replacing the wiring unless you know for certain there's a problem with them. It may be enough just to remove the connectors from the housing and squeeze a little on them to make for a tighter connection on the replay terminals. Also clean the contacts on the relay and the connectors with a burnishing tool or very fine sandpaper.

Note in your picture above that the yellow lock broke and there's still part of it left in the connector. You'll need to remove that with a dental pick or similar tool before you can get that connector out.

Yeah the old yellow lock was very brittle but I have a replacement, I did squeeze them tighter and that solved the stuttering problem. How hot does a normal relay gets?

i would follow the wires back through the loom as far as possible and check wire condition. These are close to the exhaust (assuming 3FE) and can become hard and brittle. Deteriorated wire condition can adversely affect the temperature of the relay.

I´ll do that, I´m following all the looms and actually splicing old brittle cables as well as replacing some leaky gaskets and refurbishing the ps pump. Thank you all for your input.

I had the EFI Relay problem after I got my picked up my 91 back in 97. The problem is the relay wires slip down in the wire bundle and cause the
EFI relay to "Chatter" or constantly oscillate on and off causing it to over heat and burn out. My fix was to push the relay wire up until they made a solid connection to the relay and retie the wire bundle with zip ties. Haven't had the problem in all these years and my 91 is my DD.

Thanks for the tip, I will make sure it is snug. It gets super hot out here and the FJ has an awesome AC system so I wanted to get her out and use it for the rest of the summer but I guess I will make sure she is right before I take it out again. I just got my other truck's ac working so this is no longer a must but I do something to it everyday. I just refurbished the charcoal canister because the tank made a huge vacuum and it also smelled really bad (GAS), dismissed it but I hadn't gotten a chance to get the egr off so I did that yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom