EC Offroad CarPlay Solutions For 2016+ 200 Series LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good info, thanks for posting your experience.

When you get a chance, can you check if the USB ports provide "fast" charging to phones? (Especially while using Carplay / Android Auto)?

Also, since it claims to use the existing vehicle microphone, I'm curious if voice commands work as expected.

Good info, thanks for posting your experience.

When you get a chance, can you check if the USB ports provide "fast" charging to phones? (Especially while using Carplay / Android Auto)?

Also, since it claims to use the existing vehicle microphone, I'm curious if voice commands work as expected.
Yeah, when I get a chance, those are some of the things I'm planning on checking.

I remembered that I forgot to reconnect the antenna connector on the speaker grill cover, so I just went down to the garage to take care of that. I took my iPhone XS with me and gave CarPlay a quick try. Looks like everything works fine on a quick run through of several apps. Music played via CarPlay sounds excellent. It looked like the phone was getting a fast charge - I’m pretty sure it dinged twice when I plugged it in. The built in Android seemed to take a bit to reconnect to the WIFi on my phone, but that’s not a big deal as long as it does reconnect.

i figured out how to zoom with Google Maps on the built in Android - double tap the screen then keep your finger on the screen and slide up or down. There’s also a way to exit the limited apps mode and fall back into what appears to be a full Android device.

There‘s a lot more to experiment with, but this looks extremely promising so far and my initial impression is that my hope to be able to just used the Android functionality and no need to use CarPlay may be realistic. Only time will tell if the device has any glitches, but so far so good.

I remembered that I forgot to reconnect the antenna connector on the speaker grill cover, so I just went down to the garage to take care of that. I took my iPhone XS with me and gave CarPlay a quick try. Looks like everything works fine on a quick run through of several apps. Music played via CarPlay sounds excellent. It looked like the phone was getting a fast charge - I’m pretty sure it dinged twice when I plugged it in. The built in Android seemed to take a bit to reconnect to the WIFi on my phone, but that’s not a big deal as long as it does reconnect.

i figured out how to zoom with Google Maps on the built in Android - double tap the screen then keep your finger on the screen and slide up or down. There’s also a way to exit the limited apps mode and fall back into what appears to be a full Android device.

There‘s a lot more to experiment with, but this looks extremely promising so far and my initial impression is that my hope to be able to just used the Android functionality and no need to use CarPlay may be realistic. Only time will tell if the device has any glitches, but so far so good.
Fantastic. I'm now leaning more towards this EC unit instead of the NaviPlus unit. Looking forward to additional info here as you get more hours with the unit.

1-How does it work ordering from Australia with customs and duties or did a I miss a US retailer?
To close the loop on this, mine was delivered by DHL Friday afternoon with no additional customs or duties charged.

Interested if you get passthrough to rear screens for Netflix, etc. with this device. Thanks.

Hi Guys,
we are now on the forum and happy to answer any questions/help out where we can.
i work on 200 Series Landcruisers every day and we know them pretty well inside and out. we do full builds from start to finish, im also happy to answer any questions non related to our products..
as for the interface modules that this post is referring too , i have refined over a few years now. we sell lots of them and have sold over 400. they are great units and very easy to install.. i can promise you one thing, our units are by far the easiest to install on the market, i have tried them all. with ours just being 4-5 plugs making them less destructive to your pride & joy.. some other brands out there requires you to take the actual screen apart.. bugger that.

talk soon

Interested if you get passthrough to rear screens for Netflix, etc. with this device. Thanks.
Someone else will need to test this as the Heritage Edition doesn't come with the rear screens. It is supposed to work though.

Hi Guys,
we are now on the forum and happy to answer any questions/help out where we can.
i work on 200 Series Landcruisers every day and we know them pretty well inside and out. we do full builds from start to finish, im also happy to answer any questions non related to our products..
as for the interface modules that this post is referring too , i have refined over a few years now. we sell lots of them and have sold over 400. they are great units and very easy to install.. i can promise you one thing, our units are by far the easiest to install on the market, i have tried them all. with ours just being 4-5 plugs making them less destructive to your pride & joy.. some other brands out there requires you to take the actual screen apart.. bugger that.

talk soon
Welcome to the forum!

The only part of the install that I found confusing was the RCA cable, as mentioned in the email I sent you guys a short while ago. Other than that, it was pretty easy.

It's a bit tricky figuring out how to securely attach the module so it won't bounce around, but there's enough room behind the screen for each person to come up with a solution that works. I didn't want to use double sided sticky tape as some people seem to do with these sorts of modules because it makes future changes more difficult.

I will want to figure out a more permanent solution for where to locate the USB cables, but inside the glove compartment will work fine for now.

Hi Guys,

talk soon
Welcome! I was actually hoping you would show up and have a presence on this forum!

@EC OFFROAD can you clarify the android environment? Can any android app be installed via the Play store?
yes this is correct 99.9% of apps will work.
we have found a just few of the TV/movie apps dont like it as they think its a external screen and we are sharing the tv shows...! you can go online and search older apk versions and get the app to work usually., netflix etc will work

Welcome to the forum!

The only part of the install that I found confusing was the RCA cable, as mentioned in the email I sent you guys a short while ago. Other than that, it was pretty easy.

It's a bit tricky figuring out how to securely attach the module so it won't bounce around, but there's enough room behind the screen for each person to come up with a solution that works. I didn't want to use double sided sticky tape as some people seem to do with these sorts of modules because it makes future changes more difficult.

I will want to figure out a more permanent solution for where to locate the USB cables, but inside the glove compartment will work fine for now.

I'm guessing the extral RCA connectors are for rear seat video.

@EC OFFROAD not trying to hijack, but do you have any compatibility for a 2010 LX570 variant? I didn't see that option listed on your site.

If so, does it maintain same integration as other years? (Use video on rear display, use steering wheel controls etc).

Back to topic, for all the versions, for rear display is that going to be the same as the main unit or can it be separate, e.g. Netflix to rear screens and Maps on the main display?

Last edited:
Arrived home today from a trip to find my package from EC had arrived safe and sound from Australia. The purchasing experience was a breeze. A few emails with questions and answers from both Cale and Michael and I decided to take the plunge. From the time I paid the invoice on the 29th to arrival at my door in CA (Friday the 7th) was 9 days. I had expected a much longer shipping time so I was pleased to see the delivery notification. As a side note I did login to DHL and authorize a delivery without signature.

I probably won’t get to installing this for a few days unless I can sneak away to the garage tomorrow. There is a simple connection instruction sheet in the package. Plus Michael sent a pdf with a little bit more in depth installation instructions. I will use use these 2 plus the YouTube video posted on a previous thread to help it all go smoothly.

I know some photos were already posted but here’s the basic components of the kit:

EC62CC2C-2220-4BD1-822D-46414B9ECBFF.jpeg

One white RCA...

BAC83509-80FB-4A92-8850-F05E68122585.jpeg

GPS antenna.

B8BA68E1-4E91-44F7-8141-DB0B063ACB5D.jpeg

LVDS Cable which shows connecting to the screen...

DD05FC56-6B94-425D-8DFA-151D3ABA6BF1.jpeg

USB Bundle...

85EE99B6-1DC7-49A3-AB11-C8CAC51654A0.jpeg

@EC OFFROAD what is the difference between these two units? It seems like the only difference is that that unit that costs twice as much has native Android support (to install apps without needing carplay / Android Auto). Is that all? Seems like a pretty big price discrepancy, so it feels like I must be missing something.

Control Box...

53B41A30-A041-442A-B8D5-EF9D5A5E8913.jpeg

B0F8FA27-2DFA-45C1-9C54-47715033C4B1.jpeg

Install sheet...

754ABBC7-82DC-46FE-B44A-FCDD01DC4A3C.jpeg

DIP Switches (I don’t think these do anything).

11BBD667-EEF8-4644-9A71-7ABC5C54B99A.jpeg

I laid everything out and plugged everything in to get a good sense of where things go before I tackle this project. Without opening up the truck yet everything seems pretty straightforward.

5EC01478-E962-4FEE-9F19-5D128596502C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom