East TN shop? Anybody? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hugh Heifer

Less than 115 days!
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.stlca.org
A friend is picking up a 69 FJ55 and the first thing he wants is to do a PS conversion. I figure Saginaw would be fine for him. The Pig is all original I think.
Anyone know of a shop on eastern Tennessee that has experience and would not F this up?
My bud is in Kingsport. This is not the type of thing he can handle himself.
Since I am back in GA this is the most help I can offer.

Erin ran into a guy when she was picking up the uhaul a few weeks ago that was working on a 40. Ill ask her about him.

A friend is picking up a 69 FJ55 and the first thing he wants is to do a PS conversion. I figure Saginaw would be fine for him. The Pig is all original I think.
Anyone know of a shop on eastern Tennessee that has experience and would not F this up?
My bud is in Kingsport. This is not the type of thing he can handle himself.
Since I am back in GA this is the most help I can offer.
Bring it to ACC in Atlanta.

Bring it to ACC in Atlanta.
As much as I like and respect Dugan and the staff of ACC - taking a truck from Kingsport, TN to ATL is probably not in the cards for him. But thanks for the thought. If he was going to be willing to come all the way to GA he could just drop it in Rome and let me do the swap.

@Hugh Heifer Erin said Car Works of Knoxville. It was off Oak Ridge Highway north of town. She doesn't remember the guys name, but he had a couple 40s there and she chatted with him a little about selling parts and such.

Now, I have no idea what kind of work he does, but she said he seemed like an old LC guy. Also, I would not recommend Protoy at all. They did some work on an 80 we bought and from what I'm seeing, I am not at all impressed with what I've seen so far.

Chris,
I thought finding Saginaws with the desired number of turns was very difficult any more. Regardless, years ago Gordon Stiltner appeared to have the best conversion (cleanest design and parts to yield the strongest/cleanest installation). If Saginaw is the desired route, you may want to check with Gordon getting the parts fab'd from his templates. He is still in the Atl metro area.

Also, and I just thought about this, the conversion on a 55 is different. The front DS shock hoop is in conflict. You don't go all the way thru the front crossmember. My 55 has a janky conversion on it that I need to address because the pump is screaming at me and it has a "custom" shock mount on that side.

@LDowney do you have info for Mr Stiltner? Id be interested in talking with him about options as I really just need to gut mine and start fresh.

I guess I should dip into the 55 section and see. I have only ever been in one 55 years ago when I lived in PDX.

@Larry, you can get a Saginaw box from various sources if you specify the year and make of the car you know had the turn ratio. It has been so long since I went down that rabbit hole I can not recall the best ones.

I discovered that many boxes are only coming with three mounting ears now though regardless of what they are to be installed on.

Hmmm, the 3 ear thing is interesting. I'm looking for a replacement for the 40 right now and need a 4 bolt or I will have to cut off the plate and start over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom