SOLD East Tennessee, 1978 or close FJ40 rust free body, rolling project, or tub. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Mileage
Color
Yellow
20220820_075552.jpg

Hello everyone. I'm looking for a rust free tub or complete body to use for this 1978 project. Prefer rust free that hasn't been altered/repaired. We started restoration and found a mess behind the diamond plate. I have the engine and transmission out. Chassis is excellent with power steering and fairly new suspension. Tub is shot though. I don't need the 2f motor and 4 speed trans/transfer case so I have that to trade if interested. Not ready to sale anything outright until I find a body. I may have to sale it all together and find another complete FJ. Thank you!

Have you considered aftermarket manufacturers for a tub?

Never worry about rust again on the east coast…#4005 1968-1978 FJ40 Body - https://www.hardbody4x4.com/4005-1968-1978-fj40-body.html

or

or potentially an older rear tub with the thicker metal?

Have you considered aftermarket manufacturers for a tub?

Never worry about rust again on the east coast…#4005 1968-1978 FJ40 Body - https://www.hardbody4x4.com/4005-1968-1978-fj40-body.html

or

or potentially an older rear tub with the thicker metal?

Thanks. I appreciate the suffestions and links.. I did look at that. However, I prefer steel and the cost of a new steel tub makes me think I'd be better off selling my rig and adding that money to buy another FJ in better shape. Some of you may have been in this position and would suggest otherwise. Nice local guy is doing the body work. $35 an hour. He is good, but not fast. I need a good starting point so the hours don't get too high. He doesn't want too big of a project either. The older half tub is an idea I hadn't considered though. Thanks for the input.

..if you are not doing it by yourself .. you better find a"ready to drive" truck
A good starting point will cost you the same in the end (plus time)
Most of the time "repair" costs more than "replacing" if you not doing it by yourself.

Last edited:
Thanks. I appreciate the suffestions and links.. I did look at that. However, I prefer steel and the cost of a new steel tub makes me think I'd be better off selling my rig and adding that money to buy another FJ in better shape. Some of you may have been in this position and would suggest otherwise. Nice local guy is doing the body work. $35 an hour. He is good, but not fast. I need a good starting point so the hours don't get too high. He doesn't want too big of a project either. The older half tub is an idea I hadn't considered though. Thanks for the input.
Looks like you decided to list it for sale on FB? GLWS or restoration! If I come across any solid bodies I’ll be sure to send them your way.

Last edited:
I did. I'm driving down both sides of a fork in the road:) If I find a good replacement for the tub situation, I want to keep it and restore it. If I sell it outright, I'll just look for another fj with less work needed that my body guy can handle. Serg is right about a ready to drive truck being less expensive, but the build (even if I'm not doing all the work myself) is actually the part I really enjoy and it is built exactly how you wanted it. Its listed for $8500.

I did. I'm driving down both sides of a fork in the road:) If I find a good replacement for the tub situation, I want to keep it and restore it. If I sell it outright, I'll just look for another fj with less work needed that my body guy can handle. Serg is right about a ready to drive truck being less expensive, but the build (even if I'm not doing all the work myself) is actually the part I really enjoy and it is built exactly how you wanted it. Its listed for $8500.
more important in life... doing what you love and enjoy .. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom