Early clutch master tin cup type (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, so on my 64lv, I have the tin cup clutch master , tin cup type, hard line out the front. was the last new one 12 years ago, also have matching hose and slave all new at same time

Well the master is leaking thru the interior boot.

My option's seem to be the SOR(or ccot) upgrade kit, using a later master, slave, new hard line and hose. while I don't mind doing this.......are there other options or something I can gat her up on my own using all toyota parts?

Anyone else like cruiser outfitter offer a kit?

I know I can probably rebuild the master and will probably do so at one point, bUT now I'd like to just replace it.

I had thought I have seen an aftermarket master with plastic cup that was a bolt on replacement . ...but can't find it anymore

thanks, might do that

but now I am thinking, it looks like the early brake and clutch masters are the same, except for the fitting for the hard line. So.....why can't I just get a new OEM brake master(which I did last week) and use it for the clutch master....change out the end cap and it would seem like it would work.......or am I missing something? (will go home and stare for a bit)

I tried the old(but not tin cup style) brake master from the 45LV in the empty hole for the clutch master in the parts 65 fj40, the bolt pattern is the same

this is the 45LV, brand new(1 week ago) brake master from Toyota and old(12 years old from Toyota) tin cup clutch master, Unless there is something inside of one or the other that is different.....I think it would work. I don't think the old single line brake system used a residual valve in the master but I may be wrong.

did get one of the rebuild kits mentioned in the 25 section, so that will work also, its just leaking a tad into the inside boot

I tried the old(but not tin cup style) brake master from the 45LV in the empty hole for the clutch master in the parts 65 fj40, the bolt pattern is the same

this is the 45LV, brand new(1 week ago) brake master from Toyota and old(12 years old from Toyota) tin cup clutch master, Unless there is something inside of one or the other that is different.....I think it would work. I don't think the old single line brake system used a residual valve in the master but I may be wrong.

did get one of the rebuild kits mentioned in the 25 section, so that will work also, its just leaking a tad into the inside boot

You can swap the tin cup on the new ones without issue.

Take this part out for the clutch and swap over the end to match the clutch hard line.

IMG_6809.JPG

Last edited:
@treerootCO would know the answer to that :)
Save0251.jpg
Save0254.jpg

Brake:
DSC_9698.jpg

Clutch:
DSC_9700.jpg

The only parts that are different. Even though the brake piston is stamped 2-5 and the clutch piston is stamped 2-4, they appear to be the same
DSC_9704.jpg

Thanks so much for the great info.

I had a realization last night (also reading bore sizes), the clutch has always taken a good bit of effort to move, much more than even my 67). I believe I may have mismatched my master (1") with a 3/4" slave, not sure but as I got both at the
same time , I think I got the slightly latter slave as that's what Toyota had available.

So....I think my safest bet is to get the kit from SOR, it's $150. buy the time I buy a new OEM brake master ($90) and correct slave...I will spend almost as much. I can also get parts when needed again .

Will still rebuild the tiny cup.

I learned a bunch today.....so a huge thanks

I have been running a clutch master and slave from a late 40 / early 60 on my LV for a couple of years now. I also used a clutch hose from a late 40 as well and made a new hard line to match. I did have to use the slave pushrod from the original slave.

Still running the original column shift 3 speed and old style clutch and flywheel.

Reviving and old thread and have a stupid question on a tin cup master cylinder, I've never owned a rig this old and am only used to the newer style masters.

I'm trying to remove the top of the master to check the brake fluid level.
It looks pretty straight forward that the square nut looking thing on the top would screw off but mine is not budging and I'm afraid I'm going to break it so I'd thought I'd ask.
Looks like it will twist off where the orange gasket it? Am I missing something?

image.jpeg

No, it twists off, but it may need some kroil or similar loosen it up.

Hi Everyone- can someone please point me in the right direction:
I am rebuilding a 1969 clutch master cylinder , have the kit for SOR. When it took apart the cylinder, I don’t have nearly all the pieces that are in the kit. Does anyone have a diagram of the 1969 cylinder? Below is a pic of the cylinder in my FJ40:

5E1AD021-8458-426F-BF6A-D72FDFF1F4A6.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom