E-brake options after axle swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have any of your guys had any luck with rear calipers (GM Metric style) that have the e-brake built in? I am exploring some e-brake options right now, since I generally use my auto to hold my fj40 in park. I don't have the space for a driveline parking brake since t-case is fairly tight up against the body of the cruiser. I have a Dana 60 with single piston metric gm calipers. Are these effective, if so did you use the factory fj40 parking brake handle?

line lock for the win

line lock for the win
Is there a specific line lock you have had good luck with? I have considered this, but it seems like alot of people have issues with bleed off. It holds for 24 hrs I'd be happy.

A commercial grade manual ball valve mounted in the dash.

Is there a specific line lock you have had good luck with? I have considered this, but it seems like alot of people have issues with bleed off. It holds for 24 hrs I'd be happy.

I have a Biondo one, like $60. it did bleed off once, but over a few days. I think because I had some air in my lines, not sure exactly why, but it only happened that once.

I have a Biondo one, like $60. it did bleed off once, but over a few days. I think because I had some air in my lines, not sure exactly why, but it only happened that once.
Thats good enough for me. This is really the easiest option.

A commercial grade manual ball valve mounted in the dash.
I can source some very nice Swagelok ball valves at work.....I like this idea

I can source some very nice Swagelok ball valves at work.....I like this idea
Ron at Custom Cruisers FJ40 in Gilroy has been doing line locks this way for years. He watched an electric line lock fail once and won't use them.

Ron at Custom Cruisers FJ40 in Gilroy has been doing line locks this way for years. He watched an electric line lock fail once and won't use them.
I'm all about simplicity, I am going to see what kind of valves I can come up with.

Line lock is a much better option than the metric calipers with the integrated parking brake.

I used to do industrial power system installations and we'd use those Swagelok manual valves often - they're more plumbing obviously but they're really good, the only downside being most of them use NPT thread, but so do all the available electric line locks.

I used to do industrial power system installations and we'd use those Swagelok manual valves often - they're more plumbing obviously but they're really good, the only downside being most of them use NPT thread, but so do all the available electric line locks.
Yeah we use Swagelok in almost all of our applications. I'd be happy with a 6k# rated valve. I think I can build a linkage that uses the handbrake operator to open and close a ball valve, I think it would be a cool setup.

I think I can build a linkage that uses the handbrake operator to open and close a ball valve, I think it would be a cool setup.
Look at an Afco Manual / Hydraulic Lever Brake Lock, might work for you and save some time.
front_page_images.jpg

Maybe consider using the line lock on the front axle. I have a buddy with a mini Truck that uses it for rear digs. (Instead of front dig with an atlas)

He puts the tcase in rear wheel drive only. Locks the front and depending on the situation and the way he turns his front wheels he can shift the rear axle placement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom