Durable solution for torn speaker covers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My speaker covers have all seen better days. Why Toyota engineers chose to use a fabric speaker cover right where apparently people seem to want to put their foot is beyond me. My front passenger cover was so bad, I simply pulled it off. As you can see, there's old residue on there that won't come off with the usual suspects - goo gone and the like.

Anyone found a durable solution?

IMG_0608_zps13d286c5.jpg

Same speaker same issue for me. After 11 years the cloth is finally coming loose. I look forward to hearing about any creative solutions.

I used a little soapy water, brush, and a towel. I believe you can buy new OEM covers as well.

@El Cid - do you have any pics of this mesh installed? Is the speaker cover removable from the outside or does the door panel need to be removed?

@TXLX100 - didn't think the OEM covers were still available. Have you come across them somewhere? Part number?

@El Cid - do you have any pics of this mesh installed? Is the speaker cover removable from the outside or does the door panel need to be removed?

@TXLX100 - didn't think the OEM covers were still available. Have you come across them somewhere? Part number?

Just remove the door panel
Unscrew speaker covers
Drop them in the sink with warm soapy water
Lather, rinse, repeat.

image.jpg image.jpg I recovered mine with the cloth kit from Metric TLC. It's just heavy poly weave that is foam backed. 3M spray adhesive, razor blade and a few hours work.

They still look new after two years. Survived ski trips with family, etc. Dried mud comes right off. No runs or pulls.

@paflytyer - thanks, didn't think the residue would come off that easy.

@phippsj - that actually looks very good. I'm going to try cleaning off the residue and leaving it as is, but this will be a good alternative.

My mesh is in good shape, I had bought some with the idea of building a grated cover over the two subs I now have in the back. I'll share a photo when I get that complete.

The problem with the 2000 model sub is that the space in the back is just too small to handle anything that will sound good.

@paflytyer - thanks, didn't think the residue would come off that easy.

@phippsj - that actually looks very good. I'm going to try cleaning off the residue and leaving it as is, but this will be a good alternative.

Right. I also thought about cleaning the plastic grill and spraying with some flat grey or something. That would work as well.

I used a flat taupe color spray paint on mine. Worked great.

I found a sweet deal on amazon for 4 Alpine 610 speakers, one pair with separate tweeters and one pair with them integrated. My wife helped me install them and we decided to paint the speaker grills instead of recovering them. I think it worked out really well. First she lightly sanded (steel wool) the old glue residue off and then multiple light coats of Rustoleum Dark Taupe flat spray paint. It matches well and we expect it to hold up much better than the fabric. Our '03 Tacoma has the same look - sans fabric.
View attachment 834339

While doing the speakers, I noticed that the front door covers have some felt backing on them and that the rears did not, so I added some foam carpet underlayment to the rear doors to absorb some more sound. It fits well. I have also noticed that some LCs have a layer of foam over the vapor barrier on the front doors, while others do not (based on pix here on MUD).
View attachment 834340

Lost African

I removed my covers and gave them a few coats of rattle can. I had bought the stupid fancy cloth covers from the jokers at MetricTLC, but once I removed them liked the plain look better.

IMG_0555.jpg

^^^like that too. But I don't think my LX speaker grill looks the same underneath the cloth.

Mine were in bad shape so I just ripped the fabric off, I think they look fine. Although now see how fireball painted them, that will be added to my spring to-do list.

Wish someone made some perforated metal covers - the location of these speakers does not lend itself to fabric.

I removed my covers and gave them a few coats of rattle can. I had bought the stupid fancy cloth covers from the jokers at MetricTLC, but once I removed them liked the plain look better.

I really like that look @fireball. Do you remember the rattle can you used? The color contrast looks better than trying to match the tan door panel.

Once the door panels are removed, the speaker grills unbolt from the back. I took mine off, and bought some speaker fabric from Joanne's, used some spray adhesive, and they look great. The color I used matched the brown leather trim on the door. Having a light color sown there is not the best option!

IMG_1326.JPG

IMG_1327.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom