Drove an hour. Stopped to fill up. Crank but no start. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

and if everyone, mostly toyota, would put an easy port on the rail everyone would be happier. (consumer, enthusiast)

The booster and pump stuff above is backwards. I don't mean to point that out specifically but you will never hear a stock toyota pump running in an LC LX without the carpet up and the top cover off.
Mr Paul, if you try the C open relay method let me know.

anyone planing on keeping their LC long term should look into acquiring a longer bajo bolt and a QD to mount a gauge for testing. It is extremely handy.
I certainly will post, if I try jumping the fuel pump on.

Sorry Jerry, maybe I need more coffee this morning, but I'm not sure what you mean:

"The booster and pump stuff above is backwards. I don't mean to point that out specifically but you will never hear a stock toyota pump running in an LC LX without the carpet up and the top cover off."

You specking about for a fuel pressure tester off the fuel rails?
"anyone planing on keeping their LC long term should look into acquiring a longer bajo bolt and a QD to mount a gauge for testing. It is extremely handy."

backwards.
Possibly… But still, when the EFI-relay was not Powered, I heard no whine.

http://lit.ie/News/News Documents/ETTA-ENGINEERING-TOPIC-2015-student.pdf
Pages 5,6,7,8,9.

My understanding, as a non-mechanic, is that the fuel-system is pressurized when the key is put to on. If not, it would take some churning before the engine would start...
Also, I would not be surprised if safety-measures are in Place to stop the fuel-pump from pumping if pressure-increase in the system is not noted.

AFAIK, the brake booster is not functioning unless the engine is running. And when the EFI-relay is not working, you get no "click" from it, and you hear no sound from the car. I find it illogical to have the brake-booster controlled by the EFI-relay, and can not recall the brake-pedal being sucked in unless engine is running.

You specking about for a fuel pressure tester off the fuel rails? yes

First time posting. Just wanted to share a similar issue with my 1999 LC100.

I never had starter issues UNTIL I bought a cheapo 3rd party keyFOB online and programmed it myself. It unlocks/locks the vehicle just fine -- but if the FOB is near the ignition cylinder when starting the vehicle, the starter turns, but engine won't ever turn over no matter how long I try. It worried me like crazy for a while because I thought it was a mechanical issue.

I discovered that if I kept the FOB away from the ignition and just use my key, it starts up every time. I am not sure this is what's going on in this case, but just something to consider and perhaps this helps someone in the future!

Cheers and good luck.

Monday night I drove about 26 miles home from work in my 2004 cruiser. Stopped to fill up on gas (had about 1/4 tank left). Went to start the truck up after filling it completely up, and it would crank but not start. I had my wife’s GX 460 tow strap me the short 1/4 mile home. Upon getting home I gave it one more try and it started it right up. Drove it that same distance to and from work yesterday and today, and then parked it for a few minutes tonight before needing to go somewhere else and it again cranks but doesn’t turn over. Sounds like it really wants to, but doesn’t actually keep running.

Going to take the day off and look at it tomorrow, but any pointers on where to start would be appreciated. It’s got 206k on the odometer.

Thanks
I would start with checking the battery connections and EFI relay. Recreate the issue at home and wak the fuel tank with the side of a hammer or rubber mallet, if it starts up after that, you need a new fuel pump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom