Driving across the US

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am going out to Tennessee to pick up an 85 mini that has been setting for about 5 years and drive it out to Arizona. It needs a fuel pump and I am going to do a tune up. What else would you guys suggest I change and/or carry with me. I am new to the 22re what should carry along that I could replace along the way in case of a break down.

all fluids, fuel filter, hoeses belts, duct tape, wire, water, rags, j.b. weld, tools, bailing wire, fix a flat & plugs, spair tire, jack, another fuel filter, carb cleaner.....

I am going out to Tennessee to pick up an 85 mini that has been setting for about 5 years and drive it out to Arizona. It needs a fuel pump and I am going to do a tune up. What else would you guys suggest I change and/or carry with me. I am new to the 22re what should carry along that I could replace along the way in case of a break down.
Howdy! Take lots of cash!! A 23 year old truck can be full of surprises. I have one. The fuel pump is electric, in tank. The fuel filter is a Royal Pain to swap out, as it is bolted up onto the block under the intake manifold. I have replaced the front main seal on the crank twice; used a speedy sleeve the second time. It still weeps and drips a litte, but not bad. If it has the "auto locking hubs" be sure they are spinning free, and not dragging the front driveshaft. These engines can last forever, but they seem to last a lot longer if you keep it under 3000 - 3500 rpm. If the truck has been parked for 5 years, then the tires are probably 10 years old. Look them over really good before you put 2000 miles on the freeway with them.
Post up when you get it back here. Maybe some Pix too? John

A couple buckets of luck.... :D Check/change all the fluids, and what they said...

"Trucks break down weather you drive them or not" Don't forget that. Might want a new rad cap too....

Tires might be the real safety??? If the truck dies out on the road, no big deal, but if a tire goes... it could be the end of the trip....

Best of luck, and if you have any trouble, get a hold of someone that can post up here, and there's probably someone that can lend a hand. Mud's good for that! :cheers:

Take all the tools you possibly can. Then stop at the first store and buy several gallons of coolant (premixed) and a case of oil. A truck that has been sitting that long will leak from every seal. Don't be surprised if the brakes don't work, the pistons might be frozen into the cylinders of the calipers.

My friend Bud (of BudBuilt) did this exact thing many years ago, went to Tenn and bought a sweet '85 longbed to drive home to Buffalo. He got a few miles out of town and the head gasket blew. He had to change it in a rest area under a lot light. He got it all done, drove the truck 100 yds and it blew again. Moral of this story: take a torque wrench with you, and a FSM.

AAA card. I can't say much, I bought my 84 Runner off Ebay and had to drive it back from Illinois to Colorado. I wasn't very smart, I went out there with enough money to keep gas in it, eat some peanuts and drink a few beers on the way home. I could have put myself in a bad situation.

Thanks guys for all the advice. I am making a list of what needs to be done and what to carry with me. I am going to go to a part store and buy everything I on my list and return what I don't use once I get to Arizona. Keep the suggestions coming, I already had many of the items on the list but for example didn't even think of the radiator cap, so no matter how obivious you think it is don't be afraid to mention it. I will post my complete list of repairs and spare parts in a day or so. I will also post post pictures of the truck and I along the way. Thanks guys!!!

TRAILER!! Will cost less in long run also will have hair when ya get home and VISA will love you once ya get it home! Good Luck on the drive and whole Lotta nothing in NM so do not brake down between Armadillo and ABQ or ABQ and Flagstaff!! BAD BAD places due to nothing around! you i know are aware of all this and be safe!:wrench::wrench::wrench::wrench::steer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom