Driver Side Door hinge is loose (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1979 FJ40 drivers door upper hinge has play in it. There is a slot the hinge goes in and it then bolts to a plate under the dash. It is above the fuses and hard to get to. It seems the plate has partially broke loose where it is welded and this lets the door sag.

It looks to be extremely hard to figure out where it should be welded and next to impossible to do the welding because it is at such an out of the way place.

Anybody had any experience with this sort of problem?

The hinge is bolted to the body. The inner piece floats in a capture and is not welded in place. There are 4 bolts that hold the hinge part to the body capture. Maybe your bolts are loose?
At least this is how the early models are.

The hinge is bolted to the body. The inner piece floats in a capture and is not welded in place. There are 4 bolts that hold the hinge part to the body capture. Maybe your bolts are loose?
At least this is how the early models are.

X2
Would be surprised if it isn't bolted on. A quick look at the bottom hinge would say for sure. The hinge is used to adjust the door and can't see them changing the design. I switched mine hinges a few times going between hard top with hard doors and soft top with quick removable soft doors. If you disconnect the battery should be able to unbolt the fuse panel enough to get in there. In the past removed the instrument cluster go gain access.

I would suggest you find a willing child with small hands to set your socket on the bolts and then you work the loosening with the socket wrench. I put hinges on all four doors and it wasn't a pleasant job. Don't final tighten to you get the door fit perfect. Good luck.

I'll take another look. I think the bolts are all tight but the plate they are bolted to is loose and lets the hinge move about 1/4 inch which lets the door sag.

The bolts may seem tight but if the hinge moves.....clearly they are not tight enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom