Drag link question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've noticed the drag link ends on my daughter's Hilux have a lot of play ( I was looking for play in the TREs, which I didn't see). I would say at least 3/16 to 1/4 inch of laxity in each of the ends. I had already adjusted to the factory 1 1/3 turns out from factory, and that's how much play that leaves. Now I expect that after 275K miles, those springs are worn, and that's the problem.

What I don't know is, how much laxity should there be? I assume some, 'cause that's why there's springs in there.

How much can I tighten them before I lose too much "spring"?

I've read about the penny trick, and I know that I can tighten down quite a bit more. Just afraid of doing too much.

I've noticed the drag link ends on my daughter's Hilux have a lot of play ( I was looking for play in the TREs, which I didn't see). I would say at least 3/16 to 1/4 inch of laxity in each of the ends. I had already adjusted to the factory 1 1/3 turns out from factory, and that's how much play that leaves. Now I expect that after 275K miles, those springs are worn, and that's the problem.

What I don't know is, how much laxity should there be? I assume some, 'cause that's why there's springs in there.

How much can I tighten them before I lose too much "spring"?

I've read about the penny trick, and I know that I can tighten down quite a bit more. Just afraid of doing too much.

I have done the two cent fix several times and replaced the stock set up with cross over.. but in two years it still felt nice and tight. huge difference.

there should be a rebuild kit from toyota if you want to do it right.
or I have several arms, if you want to try them. some are the dropped pitman arms some are stock. no clue as to how good they are.. heck you might even find pennies in them. been along time.
I could take an inventory for you, give ya a price.
we are way past stock steering now.
I just can't throw a way stuff.

If I can get a rebuild kit, I'll probably go that route if I have to. Gotta wait until CDan's back from his deer hunt! In the mean time, I'll try tightening it a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom