Dozer gets her hair did (somewhat of a build thread) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What they said :) I have had the starter side cover on a brand new LS3 not cover correctly.

Yes you should have. There is still time.

Strangely enough this almost happened. Guy out of the blue contacted me about 3fe issues. He is from New York and bought an 80 drove out on an adventure to California and now the motor is shot according to the mechanic. He sent me a link to one near me he was thinking of buying. 3.4k for a 100k mile 3fe (way way too much in my opinion) So I offered to sell him mine for less than that and ship it to his mechanic in NV.
He still ended up going with the more expensive more miles one because everything was already attached to it and he bought the guys trans off of him for extra. He then said his trans is toast also and won't shift. Only issue which I tried to tell him was the 3f was out of 62 and the trans won't work but I think he bought it anyway. Oh well.

The LS bug is biting fast and since it is a relatively cheap and simple swap with all parts readily available I may still end up doing it and waiting to till the truck gets here to assemble the new motor completely and put the turbo on to sell as a zero mile 3fe turbo.

Time will tell.

Sorry @mtweller highjack off

Both heads on with ARP head bolts. Reusable (not Torque To Yield).

Used a pushrod length checker to determine what length pushrods I'd need since the replacement lifters are a little taller than stock. Determined a 7.350 length yeilds .087" of lifter preload, so those were ordered and quickly received from Summit. In the same package, was the exhaust manifolds Matt recommended. I opted for ceramic coated for an extra $80. They look pretty nice IMO.

So I was able to get all the rockers and pushrods installed. Also reinstalled the front balancer / pulley. Still have to get the crank bolt on and torqued to 235ft/lbs :eek:

Might be starting this thing up very soon. I need to add some pics later tonight.

Couple of pics, for posterity:

809E8D31-407B-434D-9BFF-AC456C3B99A9.jpeg
19DE28C8-5934-4044-BCE1-DBD73F452AD6_1_201_a.jpeg

you bought a new crank bolt?

you bought a new crank bolt?
Yes, went with an ARP replacement. Mainly because I don't like TTY and getting the correct angle torque on there did not seem fun.

On a side note, I installed the new crank bolt last night and was surprised how easily I was able to get 235 lb/ft. Really not hard at all. I'll post another update soon but I should have her cranked and checking for leaks on the stand by this weekend. Knock on wood.

Engine back together and running on stand. Fired right up and all vitals look good. Going to do a cylinder leakdown for s***s and giggles. Oil pressure is up about 9psi across the board. Stoked.

Next up, some cold start tuning and diagnostic recording before I pull the 2FE, for purposes of the sale. If anyone is interested in my 2FE, I'm probably going to list it for $3,500 which includes everything from the oil pan to the air filter, MSD box, ECU, wiring, etc etc. Motor probably has 1000 or so miles on the FULL rebuild, balance, etc. Runs really strong. I just need to tweak a few things in the tune so anyone interested is buying a turnkey solution.

:beer: Ramon

I went ahead and did a leakdown test tonight, for the fun of it. I was planning on repeating it because it was too late in the evening to run the 6.0L with open exhaust :D to get the engine warm, as the directions call. This allows better sealing of the rings to mimic normal operation. Still I got around 2-3% on all cylinders except 3 and 4 were both around 5%. Anything less than 10% is consider very good. Up to 20% is acceptable for a good "used" engine. I'm pretty pleased with that! This is a pretty cool diagnostic tool, like a kid with a new toy.

So Dozer will be back together when I come visit in April for a ride? :hillbilly:

So Dozer will be back together when I come visit in April for a ride? :hillbilly:

Not likely, but maybe. I'm not rushing anything. I still have to finish tuning the 2FE and document/try to sell. Likely will be put into storage until the right buyer pops up.

I am still deciding on the adapter strategy. Right now, I'm leaning heavily towards Marks 4WD kit, but still have to make a decision, order parts, etc etc.

Then cooling, fuel, wiring.... you get the idea. It's a fun project because I'm not setting deadlines to avoid cutting corners.

Well, decision was made to use the Mark's 4WD adapter kit and the order is placed with Advance Adapters. Some parts will be arriving soon, but they are waiting on parts that are in flight from Aus, so I'm hopeful to get the actual adapter in a few weeks. In the meantime, I've been focusing some on getting the cold start right on the 2FE and seem to be making good progress. Hoping to be pulling the motor by next weekend. One cool think about using Mark's kit is that I don't have to pull the trans / transfer at all - they stay in place exactly where they sit currently, so I shouldn't have to do driveline, shifter or crossmember mods!!!

I'm going to be listing my 2FE for sale soon, but given the niche ECU I'm anticipating it won't sell straight away. Anyone have some good advice on how to get the motor ready for some period of storage? Obviously it won't be in a temperature controlled storage, but it will be enclosed. I'm thinking of using a marine fogging product before yanking it and maybe even a rudimentary crate to keep vermin away from wiring. Or maybe completely pull the wiring and storing inside my house and just the mechanical bits at a storage unit.

I’ve had a ls in storage for a couple years (yes i feel like a lazy slob) and haven't had any vermin issues. Spiders, yes.

Maybe shrink wrap or do some sort of propane shrinked wrapped deal like boats and put lots of mothballs inside of the wrap?

Well, decision was made to use the Mark's 4WD adapter kit and the order is placed with Advance Adapters. Some parts will be arriving soon, but they are waiting on parts that are in flight from Aus, so I'm hopeful to get the actual adapter in a few weeks. In the meantime, I've been focusing some on getting the cold start right on the 2FE and seem to be making good progress. Hoping to be pulling the motor by next weekend. One cool think about using Mark's kit is that I don't have to pull the trans / transfer at all - they stay in place exactly where they sit currently, so I shouldn't have to do driveline, shifter or crossmember mods!!!

I'm going to be listing my 2FE for sale soon, but given the niche ECU I'm anticipating it won't sell straight away. Anyone have some good advice on how to get the motor ready for some period of storage? Obviously it won't be in a temperature controlled storage, but it will be enclosed. I'm thinking of using a marine fogging product before yanking it and maybe even a rudimentary crate to keep vermin away from wiring. Or maybe completely pull the wiring and storing inside my house and just the mechanical bits at a storage unit.

There is a tan 80 sitting at keefers. You can store it in the engine compartment if you want.

Fogging oil would be enough imo. Maybe a rag stuffed in the intake if there won't be an air filter.

2FE should be out this weekend. Just have to figure out my storage solution.

F0317A68-029F-4AD3-993E-258ED54FA7F7.jpeg

No explanation required...

904D0AAF-6129-498D-AACE-4254EED09476.jpeg

Shout out to Del for letting me borrow his utility trailer - putting the 2FE in storage tomorrow. Once LS swap is done I should have enough free space to get it in a run stand here.

Got some work done over the weekend and getting one small step closer. I didn't recognize the fact that that adapter kit I bought, Marks 4wD conversion from Advance Adapters, requires relocating the driveline center 1 1/8" towards the passenger side. So... out the window with no shifter, crossmember and skid plate mods. At this point, I'm just hoping the skid is salvageable for my rig. Guess I'll see later down the line. I do have the rear crossmember mods done to an extent that it can be bolted in and bear weight at that rear of the transfer case. One thing I've now confirmed is that my frame is still about 3/8" out of square... oh well. Everything still fits.

Tons of firewall clearance - I'm really surprised.

1616469064994.png

1616469120920.png

Manifold outlets and AC compressor couldn't clear the frame rails by any less. Seriously tight.

1616469261444.png

1616469394946.png

Onward and upward!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom