Doors interchangeable? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi- wondering if 1963/64 doors will fit on 1962, I know in 63 they lengthened the chassis , parts availability on 62 and below is limited, and I think I would prefer the roll up type of window over the pull up type, i dono know. Thanks for the help

40 series had the same dimensions thru the run, not sure about lengthened the chassis unless you are referring to a 25 series, I don't know 25's.
a few different issues could arise.
do you have the oddball door latch on the 62? lever is up not down and the catch on the door jamb is different
what size upper do you have? there are 2 sizes depending on how the door fits to the top.
do you have both sets of doors currently? I've got some mid 60's doors in Helena

Last edited:
40 series had the same dimensions thru the run, not sure about lengthened the chassis unless you are referring to a 25 series, I don't know 25's.
a few different issues could arise.
do you have the oddball door latch on the 62? lever is up not down and the catch on the door jamb is different
what size upper do you have? there are 2 sizes depending on how the door fits to the top.
do you have both sets of doors currently? I've got some mid 60's doors in Helena

I do have both doors, and the outside handles pull down to open. I think I might have all the components, minus some glass. Pulled this old cruiser off a ranch and the doors and roof were off at the time, planning on a resto to a daily driver butI haven’t had a chance to dig through it all yet, and just startin to plan things out

I do have both doors, and the outside handles pull down to open.

I was referring to the inner handle to open the door from the inside, I have an early 63 with the early oddball latch which is different than the later 63 + latch.

Guessing the handle would easy enough to modify. The height of the doors was taller on the early corrugated tops. Not sure that changed for 63- to mid 65. If it did change think using a different corrugated door header is all that would be needed. But I think it stayed the same.

Guessing the handle would easy enough to modify. The height of the doors was taller on the early corrugated tops. Not sure that changed for 63- to mid 65. If it did change think using a different corrugated door header is all that would be needed. But I think it stayed the same.

I thought those early latches with the handle up mounted to the door differently than the later ones with the handle down.
also the piece on the door jamb is different and not sure that can be swapped to the later setup

I thought those early latches with the handle up mounted to the door differently than the later ones with the handle down.
also the piece on the door jamb is different and not sure that can be swapped to the later setup

Think if you switched the two pieces as a pair wouldn't be to hard to modify. Been running 79 doors on my 68 since 1983. At first the catch was location where the old catch was. Doors didn't fit flush. Later made a adapter so they fit right and can be adjusted. Not around my early doors and tubs but believe basically the same. The catch was stamped steel verses cast out of a soft metal designed to wear.

Classic Cruisers have a 62 for sale with newer doors. I'll give them a call and see if i can get some details. Also, inside door handle open up ward and back.

Think if you switched the two pieces as a pair wouldn't be to hard to modify. Been running 79 doors on my 68 since 1983. At first the catch was location where the old catch was. Doors didn't fit flush. Later made a adapter so they fit right and can be adjusted. Not around my early doors and tubs but believe basically the same. The catch was stamped steel verses cast out of a soft metal designed to wear.

I'm talking about earlier doors that those you're talking about.
I'll try and get some pics tonight when I get home.

I'm talking about earlier doors that those you're talking about.
I'll try and get some pics tonight when I get home.

I do not have any doors with crank windows and bug catcher vent windows. I have most of a couple of sets off 1961 production FJ40s. Those that have the goofy slide windows. Interior handles have no plastic on them and are C shaped. Can't see adding a bug catcher vent windows with crank windows being that hard to modify to work on the earlier ones. Parts for those handles are much easier to find than the 61/62 FJ40. The door header on the corrugated tops are different. But all mine are 61/62. Do not know if Toyota changed the corrugated top the last few years. Know the roof vent went away as well as the tall B pillar. If the door header changed I don't know. My 9/64 65 FJ45LP-B has corner windows, the top has an angle in the B pillar. Plus has the later two piece style door header. Originally bug catcher door were replaced with the later vent style and everything lines up. I have never heard of the earlier doors being a different width. Have a 62 product with 69 FST doors on it. Because the B pillar is straight on the corrugated top the FST doors from a 69 fit find.

IMG_5018.jpeg

@tuckero23 yep those are the early oddball latches
here's pics of my early 63, mine have roll up windows
the top of the frame is different

DSCF3622.JPG

DSCF3623.JPG

DSCF3624.JPG

DSCF3621.JPG

pics of my 65
the screw spacing on the door jamb is different between these 2 versions, so what I was originally thinking the doors may not interchange without some modification, the latches won't swap and the catch piece on the jamb won't swap without work
see the top of the frame has an extra piece across it

DSCF3626.JPG

DSCF3627.JPG

DSCF3628.JPG

DSCF3625.JPG

So while we’re talking doors, what about the bottoms? Are the contours the same or different from early to not so early? Question is in reference to the lower door repair panels that some vendors sell but the earliest application dates aren’t in the early ‘60’s realm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom