Builds DomSmith’s H55 build Thread… SBC Fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Brett-

This is what I'm looking for, correct? (Pic courtesy of Cruiserdrew)...
Carnage2.jpg

Last edited:
Brett-

This is what I'm looking for, correct? (Pic courtesy of Cruiserdrew)...

No, the oiler cup goes on the other side of that front t-case half. You can see it in this picture.

Also, the reason your H55 will not fit in the bell housing is an easy one. The H55 has little ear extensions on the input bearing cap. You need to clearance the bell housing to fit properly. If you don't figure it out today, I can take a picture of the 3F bellhousing I have around that will show what you need to cut out. Poser posted a good pic complete with pink paint awhile back-you could search for that.
Carnage5.jpg

Pink and all.............................
fwh02.jpg

Oh now I see the oiler. The white thing below the brass plug. I had to look a little closer. Thanks boys. I'll take a look at the bell housing, it's probably my bad. I guess it makes sense that the bolt patterns are the same as the 3 and 4 Speed swaps are bolt up. I'll grind on that a bit today. The brand new housing bolted right up without grinding so I think that's what threw me. Oh yeah, and the stamped numbers are the same. :doh:

Hi Dom,

The cruiser is looking great, nice pics of the progress. Look forward to going wheelin' with you, hopefully this fall.

Ok so this bellhousing issue has got me stumped. The bolt patterns are different but the parts are stamped with the same #...

New Housing...

Used Housing...

Bolt patterns... (Black= OLD Pink= NEW)

The OLD bell housing will bolt to my 3 Speed but not the 5 Speed and the NEW bell housing will bolt to the 5 Speed but not the 3 Speed...

The OLD bellhousing has to be a 3 Speed adapter, right?

:confused:
newhousing01.jpg
newhousing01.jpg
oldhousing01.jpg
boltpattern.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hi All:

Great thread, Dom! :beer: Thanks for sharing!

Good luck with the project!

Regards,

Alan

Now it's time for the rear section of the case. I Inserted the trust washer to the back of the case using MP grease and lined it up to the front (I didn't forget this gasket!). Be sure to use the correct length bolts for each hole. I didn't disassemble my case so this part took me awhile. The long bolts are obvious (Red arrows are long, yellow is medium and the rest were shorter), but there seemed to be a question on a few of the shorter bolts. It seemed to me that the two bolts on the far left needed to be shorter than what I had so I used shorter ones. Torqued these to spech and then put on the idler lock plate.
rearthrust.jpg
longbolts.jpg
idler.jpg

Last edited:
After the rear case was on I slid the speedo gear into place and then attached the rear bearing retainer. This is the reatiner from the SOR Parking Brake Kit. To adjust the rear output shaft preload you have to put on the rear lock n
speedogear.jpg
rearbearingret.jpg
preloadadj.jpg

Last edited:
Reviewing my post I realized I forgot to mention the shift fork and alignment with the shifter when putting the rear of the case on...

I had to be sure to line up the hi/low shift lever tip in the shaft slot on the underside of the shaft (a little difficult to see here)...
hiloshiftfork.jpg
alignment.jpg

Last edited:
Whoa! ****! Hey!

You have no idea how valuable this thread is to this fool who'll be going through this in about 30 days! Dom, thank you kindly!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom