Dome light help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've searched the forum and need some feedback. I have a 76 FJ40. The dome light has never worked - switch was frozen. I bought a new dome light (1 wire hookup) and plugged it into the bullet connector (red w/ black stripe). Turned the switch and nothing happened. Unplugged the connection and have no power to the wire. The wire is complete and runs from the B pillar over the hard top rail and down the windshield channel. Where does this wire terminate - fuse block? Don't see anything on the fuse block relating to this, so it would have to be tied to another circuit, right? All other electronics work.

Thanks!

FWIW - My '77 interior light is wired into the lighter fuse, per this diagram.

Haynes1977FJ40Page3.jpg

Thanks - I just found the correct diagram and will check that first.

Checked the fuse and it's fine. Found the wire that runs through the windshield frame and its intact. Any other suggestions?

So the wire from the fuse, up through the windshield is fine? Use a meter and check to see if you have power at each connection and then at the light. This will tell you where the problem is.

IMG_7342W.jpg
The wire from the windshield (which is usually Red/Green) plugs into a female bullet connector right next to the headlight switch. This female bullet connector is Red/Black. Check that you have +12V on the RB bullet connector then plug it up and test for power at the switch. Remember the switch must be grounded to work.

View attachment 1210725 The wire from the windshield (which is usually Red/Green) plugs into a female bullet connector right next to the headlight switch. This female bullet connector is Red/Black. Check that you have +12V on the RB bullet connector then plug it up and test for power at the switch. Remember the switch must be grounded to work.

Thanks Mark! I'll try that and report back.

Make sure you test the fuse with a multimeter not just look at it. Mine looked fine but was open on the multimeter. The lighter, dome light and plug in the glove box are all on the same fuse on my 77.

Back from the dead. Haven't been able to find the issue. No power to the dome light, cigarette lighter, or inspection lamp. My fuse box cover looks different than a lot of others I've seen. My cover shows "lighter" at the top of the fuse box. Did the fuse box change some time in 76? The build date for my 40 is 9/75. I know the fuse box changed in 77/78, but I wasn't aware of a change in 76. I want to make sure I'm chasing the correct location at the fuse box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom