Does CDL automatically disengage when turning off the engine? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I noticed the CDL indicator light doesn't turn on on my 04 LX470. I can hear the noise of motor running when pressing the CDL button, but can't tell if it's engaged or disengaged. So, can anyone help to confirm if the CDL will be automatically turned off if the engine is turned off? Trying to avoid unnecessary wear before sorting out the issue.

Thanks!

Nope, CDL stays engaged until the CDL dash button tells the CDL relay to drive the CDL motor in the ‘release’ direction which will move the CDL mechanism away from the CDL detector switch and turn off the CDL dash light.

Your detector switch on the transfer case is likely broken, a common thing. It’s a $15 part from Beck Arnley.

Last edited:
Then what's the best way to confirm if the CDL is actually disengaged? before I replaced the CDL detector sensor?
Thanks!

I though it can be tell by looking at the button, but I really couldn't tell any difference when pressed it several times. Will try to make the slow tight turn to confirm then. Thanks!

I just tested my new to me 04 LX470 as the cdl light doesn't illuminate. I can hear the motor when I push the button and it binds when turning.
Also tested in 4lo and it works the same as 4hi and I doubt the 7pin mod has been done or if even in 4x4 very often.
I take this to be the tcase switch. On my 80 I removed cleaned and it's worked ever since. Just another thing for the list this weekend when I can get it on my bros lift.

My issue may he similar to yours.

I just tested my new to me 04 LX470 as the cdl light doesn't illuminate. I can hear the motor when I push the button and it binds when turning.
Also tested in 4lo and it works the same as 4hi and I doubt the 7pin mod has been done or if even in 4x4 very often.
I take this to be the tcase switch. On my 80 I removed cleaned and it's worked ever since. Just another thing for the list this weekend when I can get it on my bros lift.

My issue may he similar to yours.
I don't have any experience on this, but is it very obvious to tell if the wheels bind when turning? Will test it out tonight.

When you say "tcase switch", you mean this part # 84222-12010 or BECK/ARNLEY Part # 2011788 , right? like this one:

I haven't looked into the switch but that looks to be it.

Yes, you will know if its binding. On pavement, just stop, turn wheels to lock, hit the button and let off brake if the cdl is engaged you wont move. Give a little gas and you will feel the binding. Hit the switch again to turn off cdl and let off brake again. You will turn like normal.

I know mine is the switch because I have 4lo without binding. You can achieve this by unplugging the switch but your 4x4 light wont work or do the 7pin mod.

I don't have any experience on this, but is it very obvious to tell if the wheels bind when turning? Will test it out tonight.

When you say "tcase switch", you mean this part # 84222-12010 or BECK/ARNLEY Part # 2011788 , right? like this one:
Yup, that’s the replacement switch. Roundly accepted to be as good as OEM.

The 04 doesn't need the 7 pin mod, for the cdl not to engage in lo. It comes like this, I think because of a-trac doing what the cdl did in the older models.

Tested and verified. Just ordered the new sensor to fix it. Thanks everyone for sharing.

Finally, I replaced the faulty switch with Beck Arnley 201-1788 and problem resolved.

I did remove the heat shield for safety and room, and the ratcheting end of the 27MM Husky wrench from HomeDepot made the job much easier.

Again, thanks for all the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom