Dobster's 1965 FJ40 Soft Top Resto (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Those are 45 tail lights

I agree they look like the same size but I don't remember that little reflector in the lens. I have a set of this size lenses that are white and red. Nor sure what market they are from. I just know they are not fainted amber. THe lenses are in great shape:confused:

Turning Lenses

While I was at it I took some shots of one of blinker lens sets (Right hand side I think) which are also in great shape. I seemed to remember some comment about this in another thread.

The bloke I bought it from said his Dad had kept the 40 for years and looked after it, but the more I look the more I see it is in great condition all round (and will be even better shortly).

I'll definitely clean them up and put them back in.
IMG_0994.jpg
IMG_0995.jpg

Tub Preparation

After the rust repairs, the rest of the body was taken back to metal and any imperfection sorted out by the way of a little bogg and sanding.

The tub is in great shape and all holes in the dash from renegade guages and knobs filled and back to metal.

As we are not taking the tub off the frame and leaving the motor in - the body is being prepared as such. I'd love to have been able to take it right off but as the panel shiop is storing the whole vehicle for me - the best and cheaper option was to leave it on. We'll remove eveything from the fire wall later.

Ready for the paint booth..:clap:
08.08.13 Cruiser at Lightwood 004.jpg
08.08.13 Cruiser at Lightwood 002.jpg
08.08.13 Cruiser at Lightwood 003.jpg

Painting

The lads at the panel beaters sent me these. Everything undercoated, then painted and baked in the oven twice. There was no code for the Judson Green that we could find but the spary painters was able to find something that indictaed to them the right mix and she looks a treat. I sent them the MUD references that were on Toyotareference.com and pretty much they did the rest.

I feel pretty good when I see this stuff. :bounce: :bounce2:
P1012846.JPG
P1013004.JPG
P1013006.JPG

How'd you decide what hardware to leave on and get painted? I see your door hinges and what looks like the latch for the tool box, but you removed the hood hinges and more. Are you painting the rest separately?

Good question. I'm being very much guided by the panel shop. They took everything off the body they felt it needed. The hinges look good, although considering the rust that was under the windscreen hinges it was interesting decision. Everything else was taken off and sent away for a rust cleaning bath and came back gleaming. They are all to be painted seperately probably at the next painting. The fire wall is yet to be done so a bit of work to get that set and everything else that is yet to be painted also.

Where she stands

So this is where we are at.

Pretty happy the way it is travelling. Next the smaller parts painted.

Sorry about the dust all over it. I didn't get the photos done before it sat next to a lot of normal work for the panel shop.
IMG_0915.jpg
IMG_0911.jpg
IMG_0966.jpg

How'd you decide what hardware to leave on and get painted? I see your door hinges and what looks like the latch for the tool box, but you removed the hood hinges and more. Are you painting the rest separately?

Very little to update as she is still sitting in the same spot as the last photo, but regarding the hinges - they wouldn't come off and the blokes at the shop felt they could get everything painted where they were.

They are hoping to make some further progress with the fiddly stuff in the new year.

Waiting waiting waiting......

Cheers Dobster

Same Part Numbers ?

81551 REAR COMBINATION LAMP,RH
PN 81551-60210 FJ40, 43 RHD, AMBER-RED,AUSTRALIA SPEC.

81561 REAR COMBINATION LAMP,LH
PN 81551-60210 FJ40, 43 RHD, AMBER-RED,AUSTRALIA SPEC.

does anybody know if these are still available?

...just wondering

i found something close...but...not exactly...if they are not available...then maybe the ones i found are?

While I was at it I took some shots of one of blinker lens sets (Right hand side I think) which are also in great shape. I seemed to remember some comment about this in another thread.

I'll definitely clean them up and put them back in.

I think this little group was asleep when this was posted. The pictures in post #42 seem to be the lenses that we have been looking for for years. The only difference is both front and back are amber. Off a 65:hmm: How about some better pictures of both sides Rob? I guess both sides being amber would make sense since the turn signal had to be amber the front turn signal would have to be amber on the back side as well as the front.

does anybody know if these are still available?

...just wondering

i found something close...but...not exactly...if they are not available...then maybe the ones i found are?

I thought the FJ45 and stout tail lights were not longer available. Would be interested in what you found Johnny? Not sure what direction I'm going to go with my FJ45. Only one of the lenses is usable and both housing need work. I plan on either going original tail lights with a couple of 68-72 FJ40 reverse lights added or the post 73 tail lights off a FJ40:meh:

the ones i found are like this older one...with a trim ring...they are from a daihatsu 1980-1990's? front blinker ....i thought they were more like the 45's ...but...more like the one in the older cruiser :meh: maybe peteinjp can get them?

the 45's dont have a trim ring do they?

attachment.php

tail lights.jpg
tail lights daihatsu.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom