Dobster's 1965 FJ40 Soft Top Resto (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all - Inspired (and daunted) by Destin's build :clap: I thought I would put mine up. It has been on the go for about two years or so now and hopefully will be completed to reasonable level within the next six month as it needs to make way at the Panel Shop for my 25. I hope everyone enjoys what I put up and hope you can help me with originality and know how. I don't have much idea in regards to rebuilding lego cars let alone forty series, and will welcome any assistance. As with most I hope this is the approriate place for but reading what is in this section I'd like to leave it here as the comments and know how have been great on other threads.

Most of it is being done by people with way more knowledge than me but I keep a hand in scouring for parts and the touches that tradesman look at you and say - "It would be cheaper and easier for you to do".... or in English "I really don't want to do that".... I'll try to post a bit at a time over the coming nights and months, but don't hesitate with request for me to adds pics or suggest things you's like to see.

Cheers Dobster

So first some background.

The 1976 FJ40 in my Avatar was my first vehicle and no there is not a hope in **** I could jump that high now (Photo is about 20 years ago). I have had a 4x4 of some sort with only one minor deviation off the cruiser list being a Mitsubishi Pajero. I drove the 76 around Australia in 1989 for a year and have some pics of it doing some awesome river crossings and carrying anything and everything on the bullbar.

20 years on I end up with major back surgery and while lying flat on my back with a laptop and not much else to do, I think that a great addition to my hundred series would be an old 40 or even a 25. Obviously the 25s are scarce - but after many weeks and hours on the internet I find this fairly original 1965 40.

It has been in the same family all its life living in NSW and used on a farm. The son moved to Queensland, has a couple of others and needed to make way for newer vehicles. I have it checked out and all reports come back with the thumbs up as far as it runs, oil leaks and how straight it is.
DisplayImage4.jpg
DisplayImage1.jpg
IMG_0013.jpg

It arrives in Melbourne

After purchasing and organising transport - it is brought straight to the Lightwood Autos in Springvale Melbourne.

Lightwood Autos - Smash Repairs and Body Shop.

These blokes have been repairing my vehicles for years including sorting out my Silver Shadow after someone ran up the back of it - to great wraps from the insurance company. Here it lay till we put a plan together.

The engine is still an F Motor but has been changed at a later date and the three speed transmission swapped for a four on the floor out of an FJ55. It also has a GM carby.
18062007031.jpg
18062007032.jpg
18062007035.jpg

The tear down begins

The vehicle is quickly pulled to bits although this is not going to end up a frame off restoration. The dash has had the usual array of gauges added, but we are bringing this back to original as much as possible and so all non genuine holes are to be filled. The gear knobs have been changed to items out of a pool hall and I am looking to get these together shortly.
21072007092.jpg
21072007091.jpg

Take everything out

As expected everything comes out including the traditional Aussie experience of bucket seats out of a Datsun – these are going to the great hopper in the sky.
P1012001.JPG
P1012002.JPG
21072007096.jpg

That's a great looking early FJ40. Well worth restoring. Funny how Australia and the US got different options. All the soft top models here got soft top doors while it seems most of your had hard doors. Not sure why the spare tire carrier was the opposite sides depending on if it was LHD or RHD. The strangest thing is the front turnals appear to be the double sided ones. Which ended here in 1962. I have the correct style if you want to trade. I've even throw in a set of soft top doors and hinges. Of course you would have to pay shipping:rolleyes:

I think I have the same back seat you have. Does the back fold down and then the whole thing flip up? I also have the matching front bucket seats. They came out of a 88 Mitsubishi SWB.

That's a great looking early FJ40. Well worth restoring. Funny how Australia and the US got different options. All the soft top models here got soft top doors while it seems most of your had hard doors.

Everything I have been able to see here has the hard doors - Was there a difference in the shape of the door with the US based Soft Doors?

Not sure why the spare tire carrier was the opposite sides depending on if it was LHD or RHD.

In Aus on all types of Cruisers there doesn't seem to be consistency on which side the wheels are and hence Kaymar and ARB make both, but my thoughts are it is to do with looking out the rear view mirror. I have had cruiser with the wheel on either side and see out the passenger side is far easier when the wheel is on the drivers side.

The strangest thing is the front turnals appear to be the double sided ones. Which ended here in 1962. I have the correct style if you want to trade. I've even throw in a set of soft top doors and hinges. Of course you would have to pay shipping:rolleyes:.

Appreciate the offer and the way the Aussie dollar is at the moment getting things from the Sates is sweet. I am putting an order together for SOR currently (Is this the best place to go - I'll list the items soon), but I'll pretty much keep it an Aussie truck. ;)

I think I have the same back seat you have. Does the back fold down and then the whole thing flip up? I also have the matching front bucket seats. They came out of a 88 Mitsubishi SWB.

You don't miss much - Yep all out of a Pajero - but I want to get a set of Jump seats for it.

Cheers Dobster

Somethings not as they seem.

A little more I have been able to get from the panel beaters.

Inevitably when stripping it back more rust was found than I’d hoped for but in the scheme of things not too bad.

The rear sill as with most of them was shot, and the rear drop down tail gate is pretty much beyond repair – or at least fits in to the category “I don’t want to do that”. The rear sill was completely cut out and replaced by the lightwood boys. I have purchased a fibreglass tailgate - and on the lookout for a steel one in reasonable condition.
P1012883.JPG
P1012884.JPG
P1012885.JPG

Everything I have been able to see here has the hard doors - Was there a difference in the shape of the door with the US based Soft Doors?

In Aus on all types of Cruisers there doesn't seem to be consistency on which side the wheels are and hence Kaymar and ARB make both, but my thoughts are it is to do with looking out the rear view mirror. I have had cruiser with the wheel on either side and see out the passenger side is far easier when the wheel is on the drivers side.

Appreciate the offer and the way the Aussie dollar is at the moment getting things from the Sates is sweet. I am putting an order together for SOR currently (Is this the best place to go - I'll list the items soon), but I'll pretty much keep it an Aussie truck. ;)

You don't miss much - Yep all out of a Pajero - but I want to get a set of Jump seats for it.

Cheers Dobster

I like the soft top doors better with the quick removal hinges. Probably one of the few things the US got and Aus. didn't. The doors are the same size for the same years at least. There was a little change around 1974.

Out spare tire was on the right side until 1975 when the ambulance doors started in the US. Then it switched to the left side except for the few soft top models still being imported, they were still on the right side:meh:

If your looking for unavailable used parts I would try Mud first. The offer stands for the turn signals.

Here in the US that Mitsubishi is called a Montero. My set has a suspension driver's seat. Not sure if yours would be the same. Probably wouldn't work with the fuel tank under the driver's seat in the RHD models.

I've been lucky never picked up a soft top model with a rusty tailgate. Rear sills yes but never the tailgate:bounce2: I would think in Aus. steel tailgates would be easy to find.

What's up with your rear crossmember? Looks like it was changed at some point. The tail lights mount into the crossmember instead of bolted to the ends didn't start until the 1974 model. :cheers:

What's up with your rear crossmember? Looks like it was changed at some point. The tail lights mount into the crossmember instead of bolted to the ends didn't start until the 1974 model. :cheers:[/QUOTE]

I noticed that too.

I'll check and see if it has been in an accident - possibly replaced. I have been looking for some early pics of any in Aus as we may have had a different set up due to the requirement of amber indicators on the rear. Does any one have a pic with the Australian set up?

Cheers Dobster

I'll check and see if it has been in an accident - possibly replaced. I have been looking for some early pics of any in Aus as we may have had a different set up due to the requirement of amber indicators on the rear. Does any one have a pic with the Australian set up?

Cheers Dobster

No But this is a 1966 FJ40L USA model

P1010230.jpg

( Note OEM 1968 Reverse light has been added by present owner :) )

Hope no one minds me posting these...both these pics were found here on mud.

The first is a '65 soft top that was for sale not long ago, and the second a '65 hard top (recently posted by Johnny)
P1010003.JPG
1964 2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom